Two of my Cherry males is fighting all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
I would like to hear from some of you keepers out there, that keep a couple of RF Cherry males in the same herd.

I have three males; one 8 years old, one 15 years old and one nearly 40 years old.

My problem is that the 8 year old and the 40 year old males go very well together, and live in the same herd all the time. But as soon as I let the 15 year old meet the other two, he starts to fight with the 40 year old male all the time. I have tried several times to let them finish the fight, so they can make up and position themselves in the hierarchy. But I have to separate them after 20-30 minuter or so, since they nearly bite each others legs and heads off...

What do you suggest ? Should I keep them separated in two herds like I have now or should I give them even more time to "get to know each other" by fighting ?

I know that Cherry males tend to be more agressive and intolerante against other Cherry males than for example Northeners...

Please advice

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would keep them in the two herds as you have them now....why risk health issues from stress as well as why force a clearly dangerous situation as they can hurt each other....they certainly can and do bite chunks out of each other....

This is my opinion based on what you describe as well as I host four male CDT and know first hand what males are capable of if they are forced to by being housed withno choice....my guys are all in their own yards....again, this is my opinion :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I only have 1 RF and not a cherry, but it sounds like the one has hit puberty and is trying to mark his territory so to speak.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
dmmj said:
I only have 1 RF and not a cherry, but it sounds like the one has hit puberty and is trying to mark his territory so to speak.
These guys are way over puberty !

If you had two Cherry males like this you would understand what I'm talking about...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have quite a few redfoot keepers here on the forum, and I'm really surprised that we don't talk more about how aggressive the males can be. I have 1.2 yellowfoot tortoises (I know, I know...not redfoots), and that male is quite aggressive! He chases the little female that is his own size (the other female is quite a bit bigger than he) all over their pen. He really stresses her out with his antics. Quite frequently I have to rescue her and put her into the baby pen away from him. I imagine if I had another male it would be VERY uncomfortable for them. My pen is quite overgrown and very crowded with plants and trees. At tortoise eye-level you can't see more than a few inches in front of you. And still he finds that poor tortoise and just pesters her no end.

My only solution for her is to keep her in the baby pen for respite from him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
and just pesters her to no end.
Sounds like most of my attempts at romance.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Brazilian (cherry-head) males are a lot more aggressive than Northern Red-foots according to lots of experienced keepers. It seems that part of the issue is the space and resource availability- if you can offer a lot of space, multiple hides, etc., then there is not as much of an issue.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
emysemys said:
We have quite a few redfoot keepers here on the forum, and I'm really surprised that we don't talk more about how aggressive the males can be. I have 1.2 yellowfoot tortoises (I know, I know...not redfoots), and that male is quite aggressive! He chases the little female that is his own size (the other female is quite a bit bigger than he) all over their pen. He really stresses her out with his antics. Quite frequently I have to rescue her and put her into the baby pen away from him. I imagine if I had another male it would be VERY uncomfortable for them. My pen is quite overgrown and very crowded with plants and trees. At tortoise eye-level you can't see more than a few inches in front of you. And still he finds that poor tortoise and just pesters her no end.

My only solution for her is to keep her in the baby pen for respite from him.

Yep, agree ! I recognise that pattern too...

Laura said:
larger enclosure or seperate...

I keep them separated indoors, and have tried several times to have them share the quite large outdoor enclosure. But since it's not really finished yet, I actually have the possibility to change it so they can be separated even outdoors. This has to be the prokect for the spring !

Madkins007 said:
Brazilian (cherry-head) males are a lot more aggressive than Northern Red-foots according to lots of experienced keepers. It seems that part of the issue is the space and resource availability- if you can offer a lot of space, multiple hides, etc., then there is not as much of an issue.

Yes, that's true, the cherry-heads ARE more agressive. But since I actually have quite a large outdoor enclosure, I thought the problem should be less than what it actually is...

But I still would like te hear what other cherry-head keepers say about this, someone that have two males or more in the same herd !

Is there anybody out there ? :tort::tort::tort:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You may want to check with cdmay (Carl May). He has lots of experience in this, but does not spend much time in the forums. AllegraF is another good resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.