Medical concern with redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

5 Year Member
Me and my gf own a redfoot tortoise we have had him now for about 2 years. Each year we take him to the vet for a checkup. We noticed that since we had him he kinda walks on the side of his right rear leg as opposed to the bottom of his foot. He seems to get around just fine and it does not seem to bother him from what I can tell. Unfortunately I can't ask him. The vet never said anything because for some reason I never asked about it. My concern is do you think that this is something that could cause harm later down the road in his life? is there a surgery? I am wondering if it is just a birth defect? He is able to pull his leg inside all the way. It seems like he cant bend it at the knee like his other leg. I can take a picture it you need one?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Pictures would be great. Hopefully since your vet hasn't brought it up during any of your visits/his inspections its not a big deal.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Not a vet, and just guessing without a photo or more information, but if it us getting around fairly normally, my guess would be that either an injury or a deformity is affecting the leg. Metabolic Bone Disorder can warp bones, or simple fractures or badly healed dislocations, etc. can also cause this sort of thing.

I would further guess it would take an x-ray or something to properly figure out what is going on.

Izzy

5 Year Member
okay i will get pictures. Yeah i think a visit to the vet is in order.

as you can see the leg is larger then the other and the knee looks very different. DSC_0147.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.