Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeroyLeft

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct
Just ordered some Mazuri tonight,my smaller RF the one who wouldn't eat is now eating well, I kept putting her at the food dish I was getting pretty worried ,she would take a bite then hide in a corner, I have since put in a log hide,they both love it .they like to sit on top of it. the humidity is up to whats recommended. my smaller RF has loose to very runny stool though at least eating well so I am going to try what I read in a earlier post and give it a try. lots of useful info in the forum I really enjoy reading what folks have to say.

L

Lavinia3Gillian

Ya I heard a lot about Mazuri Tortoise diet. But some people said that its not good for my tortoise. I am having Galapagos, is it true??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lavinia3Gillian said:
Ya I heard a lot about Mazuri Tortoise diet. But some people said that its not good for my tortoise. I am having Galapagos, is it true??

Just to answer the question: It was FORMULATED and invented for Galops.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A quick background: Mazuri makes zoo-quality bulk processed animal feeds, mostly in pellet forms. The Tortoise Diet was specifically designed for the giant tortoises, but is used by zoos all over the place for most of their tortoises with few reported problems from the food itself.

Many animal nutrition experts suggest feeding captive animals a mix of about 50% good 'naturalistic' foods, and about 50% good processed diets. The idea is that the two parts will reinforce each other, providing elements the other half lacks, etc.

Mazuri is one of the two highest regarded tortoise 'chows' sold in the US with the other being ZooMed Natural Tortoise Food. Both have pros and cons. Mazuri is the better value in bulk, but it also uses molasses as a sweetener which seems to attract tortoises- that is, they often go for the Mazuri first and often leave other foods alone.

Some people are concerned about the grains component of the chow, but the grains are 'unlocked' through processing so they can be used by the tortoise. This happens for humans too- we cannot eat very many grains without processing or milling them first.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
What is your humidity and how did you get it up??

LeroyLeft said:
Just ordered some Mazuri tonight,my smaller RF the one who wouldn't eat is now eating well, I kept putting her at the food dish I was getting pretty worried ,she would take a bite then hide in a corner, I have since put in a log hide,they both love it .they like to sit on top of it. the humidity is up to whats recommended. my smaller RF has loose to very runny stool though at least eating well so I am going to try what I read in a earlier post and give it a try. lots of useful info in the forum I really enjoy reading what folks have to say.

WONDERFUL info--thank you so much.

Madkins007 said:
A quick background: Mazuri makes zoo-quality bulk processed animal feeds, mostly in pellet forms. The Tortoise Diet was specifically designed for the giant tortoises, but is used by zoos all over the place for most of their tortoises with few reported problems from the food itself.

Many animal nutrition experts suggest feeding captive animals a mix of about 50% good 'naturalistic' foods, and about 50% good processed diets. The idea is that the two parts will reinforce each other, providing elements the other half lacks, etc.

Mazuri is one of the two highest regarded tortoise 'chows' sold in the US with the other being ZooMed Natural Tortoise Food. Both have pros and cons. Mazuri is the better value in bulk, but it also uses molasses as a sweetener which seems to attract tortoises- that is, they often go for the Mazuri first and often leave other foods alone.

Some people are concerned about the grains component of the chow, but the grains are 'unlocked' through processing so they can be used by the tortoise. This happens for humans too- we cannot eat very many grains without processing or milling them first.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I have been combining the mazuri and zoo med daily for the last 2 months. Its my super food!

4 pellets of mazuri to 3 pellets (.25") of the zoomed. Both are allowed to expand in boiling for water for 5 minutes, then they are drained and mixed together. I think this process strips some of the nutritional value of the feeds, but I actually like that its diluted.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Livingstone said:
I have been combining the mazuri and zoo med daily for the last 2 months. Its my super food!

4 pellets of mazuri to 3 pellets (.25") of the zoomed. Both are allowed to expand in boiling for water for 5 minutes, then they are drained and mixed together. I think this process strips some of the nutritional value of the feeds, but I actually like that its diluted.

Where and how much do you get your ZooMed Grassland for?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Livingstone said:

I tried putting the grassland tort food in hot water/warm water and cold and it lasts for like 10 seconds then it completely turns into mush and disperses in the water...if that makes any sense.

Does that matter? Would I just wait until the Mazuri does the same thing then mash whatever is left together?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I would wonder how many useful nutrients you loose to the water if you let it sit too long in there- and aren't the nutrients the main reason we use the stuff?

Most keepers find that their larger torts can handle the stuff dry nicely (and it probably helps wear the beaks a little), and little ones do just fine if the pellets are only soaked for a short time- outside is a bit slimy but otherwise feels fairly hard.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
fmadrigal said:
Livingstone said:

I tried putting the grassland tort food in hot water/warm water and cold and it lasts for like 10 seconds then it completely turns into mush and disperses in the water...if that makes any sense.

Does that matter? Would I just wait until the Mazuri does the same thing then mash whatever is left together?

I will take photos of the process tommorrow morning, and post it up so everybody can see exactly what I mean. Im using small saucers to do this, one for the mazuri, one for the grassland. Yes the grassland does expand, its not a problem you just drain of the fluid and then mix it together. I put it on paper towel to absorb the excess water before it gets set on the feeding tile. If you dont drain it properly it will be overly watery.

Livingstone said:
I think this process strips some of the nutritional value of the feeds, but I actually like that its diluted.

^^^^^^ I think you missed that part. Yes it definitely strips it, but I have a very nutritious diet of greens the go with the mazuri every day.

Madkins007 said:
I would wonder how many useful nutrients you loose to the water if you let it sit too long in there- and aren't the nutrients the main reason we use the stuff?

Most keepers find that their larger torts can handle the stuff dry nicely (and it probably helps wear the beaks a little), and little ones do just fine if the pellets are only soaked for a short time- outside is a bit slimy but otherwise feels fairly hard.

The boiling waster if anything if removing the molasses bonding agent and some added chems in the mazuri. Same in the case of the grassland food minus the chems because its "natural". Livingstone is only 2 years old, theres no reason for her to struggle to eat by giving dry pellets, I feed wet by choice. The reason is all the same, hydration. <-------IMO, I have no way to support this other than livingstones health.
livwhole.jpg

spikethebest said:
Livingstone said:

Where and how much do you get your ZooMed Grassland for?

:( petsmart

Do you sell it, I buy my mazuri from you.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Livingstone said:
I will take photos of the process tommorrow morning, and post it up so everybody can see exactly what I mean. Im using small saucers to do this, one for the mazuri, one for the grassland. Yes the grassland does expand, its not a problem you just drain of the fluid and then mix it together. I put it on paper towel to absorb the excess water before it gets set on the feeding tile. If you dont drain it properly it will be overly watery.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.