Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Hi there--

How much is too much mazuri? I feed Charli about 4 pellets with greens every day, once a day. He loves the mazuri and has really started to grow. He is pyramiding and I think that is because of the need for humidity, which I'm working on. Also, I have just started giving him more calcium. But is that too much mazuri?

Any helpful words are greatly appreciated--thanks!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I know there are people who feed Mazuri almost exclusively, and others who feed it once or twice a week. Everyone seems to have good results. Hopefully people will chime in and offer opinions :)
I don't feed Mazuri, but if I were to it would probably be once a week. I like that you still feed him greens every day though.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
While Mazuri does have a lot of beneficial nutrients, it is also high in protein. Not something that is desirable for most tortoise species. I think feeding daily is too much. Starting about two years ago I have been feeding Mazuri to all of my tortoises once a week mixed with greens. I have yet too see any problems related to it. But again, it's fed sparingly. I've also found that a majority of my tortoises, mainly Northern Mediterranean species, have very little interest in eating Mazuri pellets. Truth be told most of it gets wasted. The exception for mine seem to be my Marginateds of all ages and younger Ibera tortoises which seem to devour Mazuri. All the others show little to no interest in eating it.

https://www.mazuri.com/PDF/5M21-5E06.pdf

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Thanks, guys! I think too much protein is a bad thing! I need to get him back into eating greens only, I think, and maybe reward him with mazuri on the weekend. I don't want him to grow too fast. Yikes! Thanks!

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Mine get it 2 to 3 times a week as a supplement.They love it!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Mt sulcata was diagnosed with a URI in mid Dec 2010. His appetite dwindled as he began to show the signs of the sickness. I began an antibiotic treatment for the URI, which didn't help his appetite at all. That's when I discovered Mazouri pellets. He ate them when he would not eat anything else. Now that he is beginning to recover from the URI it is a slow painful (frustrating) process to wean him back to a normal diet again. I am grateful for the Mazuri pellets because I was at a total loss to get him to eat anything.

M

Maggie Cummings

Now that it is winter here and Bob has to eat a lot of grocery store greens I have found that supplementing with Mazuri about 3 times a weeks keeps him from having loose runny poop. All of his feces has hay in it, but very often it is so loose and like yesterday it was flat out liquid diarrhea because I was just too lazy to add the Mazuri to his diet. Anyhow, that's what I have seen, that Mazuri keeps his poop nice and firm when I have to feed too manny grocery store greens...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use it about twice a week, soaked and mixed in with greens, for three different species and all ages.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i use it for all my tortoises, and i ship it worldwide because i think all tortoises should have access to good, clean, fresh, tasty mazuri!

B K

5 Year Member
I use Mazuri only twice a week but worry about what’s in it like the dog foods being tainted.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We never feed Mazuri to any of our tortoises that are young. We do feed small amounts during our egg laying season to our breeder females. Note, we are located in Florida, where natural vegitation is always available.

B K

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
We never feed Mazuri to any of our tortoises that are young. We do feed small amounts during our egg laying season to our breeder females. Note, we are located in Florida, where natural vegitation is always available.

I wish I never left Florida.But as a Purina product I kind of worry about it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Purina has a gotten a bad rap first of all. The premium stuff is better than most of the other food out there. I've been using pro-plan for years. During all that recall stuff, Purina was the ONLY company that diid not have to recall anything because it is all made in house with top notch quality control.

Having said all that Purina sold all the "Chow" foods to Land O' Lakes years ago. Mazuri is NOT a purina food.

B K

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Purina has a gotten a bad rap first of all. The premium stuff is better than most of the other food out there. I've been using pro-plan for years. During all that recall stuff, Purina was the ONLY company that diid not have to recall anything because it is all made in house with top notch quality control.

Having said all that Purina sold all the "Chow" foods to Land O' Lakes years ago. Mazuri is NOT a purina food.
What they dont tell you is purina Volunteered to recall products before they were told to you can do a google search on it.
They just mix it altogether ingredient’s come in from china where they don’t have to list how they preserve those ingredients. Mazuri is a Purina product just call and see who answers.
we use to feed lots of there Emu Maintenance and I called to buy it in bulk. PMI Nutrition International who is on there label is Purina Mills Inc.

info on Mazuri
http://www.makc.com/maz.htm[hr]
Purina has been sold and split a few times due to antitrust problems PMI LLC is now owned by Land o Lakes. It is very confusing.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
I got mine from spikesthebest. Just look at his profile to see his website. Fast and cheap.

Like you, Joe, my guy was sick. He wasn't diagnosed with anything...just wasn't eating. The mazuri was like medicine. But now that he's healthy, maybe he doesn't need it so much. He's only 1 year and 2 months, after all.

So what IS mazuri? I hope it's not dog food because not even I eat factory farmed animals...

Thanks guys.

B K

5 Year Member
mckenzieg said:
I got mine from spikesthebest. Just look at his profile to see his website. Fast and cheap.

Like you, Joe, my guy was sick. He wasn't diagnosed with anything...just wasn't eating. The mazuri was like medicine. But now that he's healthy, maybe he doesn't need it so much. He's only 1 year and 2 months, after all.

So what IS mazuri? I hope it's not dog food because not even I eat factory farmed animals...

Thanks guys.

No it's not dog food

Status
Not open for further replies.