Mazuri

buck.h

Location (City and/or State)
MN
I’m trying to create a diet for my Russian. He loves carrots and romaine. Given that mazuri helps with diet, I tried giving it to him. He won’t eat it. I tried mixing it dry with his carrots. Somehow, he just eats the carrots, and he leaves the mazuri behind. I tried soaking it and mixing it with his lettuce and carrots. Wouldn’t touch it. Does anyone have ideas as to what I can do for his diet?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
There are two types of Mazuri diet - 5M21 (an older one and loved by most tortoises) and LS (new one, has better contents with more fiber, but usually requires efforts to introduce).

Introduce it little by a little - mush wet pellet with fine chopped lettuce so it's barely seen. Slowly increase the amount - it might take several weeks.

And don't stick to romaine and carrots if it's the only food he has. He needs variety in his diet, especially with grocery greens.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
My Russians won't touch the stuff at all. Bought big bags, I just started giving them to the cooters as treats.

They predominantly eat weeds, but I can't get them to take interest for the life of me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Russian won't eat it either.
You do need to add a lot more then what you mentioned. Endive, ridicchio, arugula, water cress, escarole, cactus, dandelion, mustard and collard greens, to name a few.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m trying to create a diet for my Russian. He loves carrots and romaine. Given that mazuri helps with diet, I tried giving it to him. He won’t eat it. I tried mixing it dry with his carrots. Somehow, he just eats the carrots, and he leaves the mazuri behind. I tried soaking it and mixing it with his lettuce and carrots. Wouldn’t touch it. Does anyone have ideas as to what I can do for his diet?
Hello and welcome. Yo've received good advice so far.

Check this thread out. There is food info and near the bottom is a temperate species care sheet that covers diet and more: