Can Mazuri cause pyramids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
My Aldabra baby is having minor pyramids, from eating too much vegetables I guess, so I changed to Mazuri, and he loves Mazuri, now he totally gives up on Vegetables and eating only Mazuri like crazy.

Is Mazuri feed safe to eat daily and totally? can it cause pyramids? I heard Mazuri is for zoo tortoises, should be ok, right? thanks to you all.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
Eating too many vegetables won't cause pyramiding. Think about it. The very smoothest tortoises come from wild populations as a general rule. I'm not saying every wild tort is smooth,but the majority are. No mazuri in the wild. Can't comment on a mazuri only diet,as I don't feed it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Feeding vegetables does not cause pyramiding. But many other factors contribute to pyramiding such as: Lack of adequate hydration, substrate moisture & ambient humidity along with excessive protein, consistently hot temperature, overuse of supplemental vitamins and lack of adequate activity space. Probably none of those are the one thing that may cause pyramiding but all can be factors when they take place in unison.

Timathy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Feeding Mazuri will not cause pyramiding! As GB stated, there are many factors. In my opinion, adequate hydration is likely the key!! Provide daily water and soaks will go a long way to prevent pyramiding!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Timathy:

Won't you please take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Hi Sebastian:

I have a couple of eleven year old Aldabran tortoses that I raised from hatchlings. They are both pretty bumpy. They were raised on grass, clover and weeds. The reason they're bumpy is because I kept them too dry when they were in their first year of growth.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Feeding vegetables does not cause pyramiding. But many other factors contribute to pyramiding such as: Lack of adequate hydration, substrate moisture & ambient humidity along with excessive protein, consistently hot temperature, overuse of supplemental vitamins and lack of adequate activity space. Probably none of those are the one thing that may cause pyramiding but all can be factors when they take place in unison.

Couldnt have said it any better.............Well Done GB!

Status
Not open for further replies.