Marking or tagging a tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmarkovich

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
There was an old forum on here about a gal who's tort escaped. My cable guy didn't shut the yard gate all the way and panicked thinking Cowboy ran away. However, after searching and calling the police, animal control, local vets, and the pet store, I returned to him grazing in my yard. I proceeded to permanently lock the gate, as there is no reason why that one should even be used (with the exception of today)

The only comments written on that thread (which is now closed) were about escape proofing his habitat. While that is what we all thrive for, accidents happen. Here in the midwest, people steal these guys, too. I want my information somehow adhered to Cowboy incase he ever escapes or a clepto decides to make their way through my property. My yard is fenced with a tall wood fence and cinder blocks along the bottom to keep everyone in. He can't get out when the gates are shut. He has a lot of "den's" that prevent him from wanting to dig.

Any suggestions on what is safe to use? My vet is closed for the evening; I will also check with them in the morning.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise is big enough, you can clean off the center of a scute...pick one that doesn't get much wear and tear. Dry it well, then stick one of your return address labels to the center of the scute. You can then paint over it with clear nail polish. It's not permanent, and you may have to repeat the process.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your tort is lost, then the label or a siliconed on dog tag will be able to get your tort back to you. However, if someone steals your tort, they will just remove the ID tag or label. Some have talked about having their tort micro chipped. The problem with that one, no one will ever think to scan a tort for a chip. They best thing to do is protect your yard from escape and unwanted entry. Security cameras is the way I am going.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
One of my DTs constantly looses her permit tag (she is still growing and I think that's the issue.) I finally used a sharpie and put her permit number on the her with a sharpie. I know it's not the best idea, and it slowly wears off, but at least if she got out, the local CTTC would be able to get her back to me. Good luck! ")

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-42380.html

With the species here I have to tag them....I use a two part epoxy that I lightly brush/rub all over the top of the tag and then just around the edge to keep the edges from lifting....the guys are all adults and easy to choose a scute ...just be sure to not get any adhesive on any of the growth lines....:D

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I recently had my largest tort microchipped for $40. It was relatively simple and quick to do, and Bowser doesn't seem to have noticed. I also spoke to the local SPCA's and animal shelters and asked them about scanning brought in torts. Both were happy to have the suggestions. I may do both a front tag along with her chip once Bowser is big enough to stay outdoors permanently (weather permitting in FL. All these darn storms).

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I did the nail polish thing and so far it works well all I did was write my phone number on a thin piece of paper slightly glue it on then paint over it with clear nail polish

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Where did u get them chipped? I wanna do that for Zeus

alysciaingram said:
I recently had my largest tort microchipped for $40. It was relatively simple and quick to do, and Bowser doesn't seem to have noticed. I also spoke to the local SPCA's and animal shelters and asked them about scanning brought in torts. Both were happy to have the suggestions. I may do both a front tag along with her chip once Bowser is big enough to stay outdoors permanently (weather permitting in FL. All these darn storms).

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
http://www.lakehowellanimalclinic.com/

Super friendly and knowledgable. Put it right in her thigh area. Other than the initial shock of strange people not letting get retract her limb, it wasn't that bad, and when we got home she grazed and basked like it didn't happen.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Re: RE: Marking or tagging a tortoise?

alysciaingram said:
http://www.lakehowellanimalclinic.com/

Super friendly and knowledgable. Put it right in her thigh area. Other than the initial shock of strange people not letting get retract her limb, it wasn't that bad, and when we got home she grazed and basked like it didn't happen.

I know exactly where that's at I used to take my dog there...sooo totally going there next week. since I've got him back I've been trying to do that...I wanted to do it before I lost him but I never thought I would so I didn't look to much in to it..but now..PSH

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
alysciaingram said:

I would check back with the SPCA to see if they are still just happy with the suggestion or if they are actually doing it. Saying one thing and doing another are worlds apart. Most of them, more then ever are short handed and don't have the man power to do what their duties already are, let alone to remember to scan tortoises.$40.00 isn't bad, but I doubt it will ever bring a lost or stolen tort back home. Hope it's never needed, but also hope if it is, it works for ya.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
wellington said:
alysciaingram said:

I would check back with the SPCA to see if they are still just happy with the suggestion or if they are actually doing it. Saying one thing and doing another are worlds apart. Most of them, more then ever are short handed and don't have the man power to do what their duties already are, let alone to remember to scan tortoises.$40.00 isn't bad, but I doubt it will ever bring a lost or stolen tort back home. Hope it's never needed, but also hope if it is, it works for ya.

Yeah, I don't plan on my tort ever being out and about outside of her enclosure, and then outside my fenced back yard. It's more of a peace of mind for me to know that IF it ever happened I have some way of getting info out there to get her back. And I will take your advice and contact them again and see if anyone's put in a system with animal control :) I know of at least one case in my area where the tort was returned through the local shelter, so that gives me some hope.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Marking or tagging a tortoise?

ascott said:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-42380.html

With the species here I have to tag them....I use a two part epoxy that I lightly brush/rub all over the top of the tag and then just around the edge to keep the edges from lifting....the guys are all adults and easy to choose a scute ...just be sure to not get any adhesive on any of the growth lines....:D

Zamric has done this too... epoxied a dog tag to a scute.

I have Joe microchipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.