Another marking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mango matto

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
I know there are a few threads about marking tortoises. A lot of those threads talk about putting a dot of nail polish. I want to get a small dog tag and affix it to my Sully. I want to make sure if he gets out that he has the best chance of being returned to me. I know that they do the chips for tortoises too but I think a dog tag has stood the test of time for getting a dog back if it gets lost. I know in many studies gps tracking units have been affixed to turtles like this. http://insanit.net/blogpics/gps_turtle_number_72.jpg
I want to try the same thing with a dog tag but I am not sure what they use to attach the trackers. I was thinking it was some sort of epoxy, but every epoxy I have ever messed with gets really hot when curing. I was thinking that a small dab of silicone might work but I wanted to check with you all to get ideas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some people put their mail return address label on the tortoise. You cut it down so it will fit inside the scute and not hang over into the growing areas around the scute, stick it on then paint over it with clean nail polish. It lasts about a season, then you have to do it again.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I know some people have trued the gluing the tag on with epoxy with mixed results. I don't think I would do it. Make sure to glue it to the center of one scute only if you try.

I would probably just paint my phone number in acrylic latex paint on the shell and re-do it as needed.

My plan for a lost tortoise is:
1. Prevention. Two barriers to getting out of the yard (pen walls, yard fence) and being on good terms with the neighbors enough that if they find them, they will return them or at least call me.
2. Initial Response. Blanket the neighborhood with signs using a recent photo (although there are not a lot of turtles or tortoises around here) and offering a reward. Call/fax/email the Humane Society, nature center, zoo, local pet shops, and vets (in case they get contacted about a found turtle or tortoise). Mobilize my kids and neighborhood kids into search party.
3. Secondary Response. Deliver a poster to the above sites. Photocopy more posters for more saturation of the neighborhood. Continue searches.
4. Tertiary Response- based on most likely scenario. Remove posters, recall above locations, and thank neighbors for putting up with the searches when tortoise is found in a clump of bushes three feet from main habitat, still in the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.