Male or Female?

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Hey y'all. I'm going to attempt to attach a picture of an EBT I may be taking in later. The issue is, she/he is not quite an adult yet and both of us are not 100% on sex. He thinks female because of the tail, but I think I see a concaveness to the plastron. Any thoughts?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
He said that some females do have that concave plastron sometimes, but he said because the tail looks female he believes it is female in spit of the concave plastron and reddish eyes. While I do agree that a female can sometimes have reddish eyes and sometimes males do not have the concave plastron, I do not think I have ever heard of a female with a concave plastron. Plus, that tail kind of looks male to me, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

Thoughts?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Finally figured out how to attach the original picture instead of taking a picture of the picture on the computer with my phone

Attachments

• EBT-Unsexed-SpotCheeks-Belly-7-2015.jpg
    EBT-Unsexed-SpotCheeks-Belly-7-2015.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Although I have seen females with concave plastrons and males with flat plastrons, I would be comfortable saying this one is male.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Agreed.
Thank you everyone!!
My phone is being a total pain in the arse and not letting me download the pictures of the ones I'm getting. One female two males, and the two males are GORGEOUS!! Female is too, but she's somewhat dirty in her picture so you can't see her markings as clearly as the boys

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I can see Eric's response for being female. Even though it appears it has a slight concave, the high dome shell and the tail appear to take on a more female characteristic.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Really? To me the tail kind of looks male. That combined with the red eyes and concave plastron lead me to believe male. I admit I could be wrong, though

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Not sure about the sex.
But Happy Birthday.
Have a great day.
Thank you. :)
I ended up getting these guys insteadImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437746879.468569.jpg
They're doing really good. I dumped a container of red wigglers and mealworms (around 20 combined total I'm guessing) in a pile for them yesterday and they decimated them immediately. It was fun to watch because they had to eventually push the grass aside and almost bury themselves to get the ones trying to escape. The one in front is missing two toes on her hind foot and the one in back looks like he was on the loosing side of a dominance fight because of a small circular mark on his shell behind his head, but they're both great.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437870937.956406.jpg
He was coming right at me and at first I thought he was going for my toes thinking they were pinkies or worms, haha. At the last possible second he turned and shoved his way under this hide I made out of a shoe box. I cut panels out of the shorter ends big enough to fit but small enough that anyone inside can't be seen from the outside, yet they all refuse to use them. Instead they all shove themselves under the long sides.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437871107.768324.jpg
This is literally a thrown-together pen last minute. The one they were in became infested with maggots overnight when a bird decided it was a good place to die.
Checked on them night before around 9-10ish, no dead bird, everyone happy and snuggled in to bed. Come out next morning to put down breakfast, dead bird covered in maggots and entire pen full of maggots to the point where I had to do a strong continuous stream of water for half an hour each turtle (not strong enough to hurt the turtles obviously, but enough to knock the maggots off) then keep changing their soaking water every thirty seconds for another half hour while they were in it to get most of the maggots out from inside their shells, then another full hour of soaking each one while using a small fish tank net to fish out the maggots as they came out of their shells for air and wriggled to the surface of the water. It was horrible. I'd think I got them all, pick up the turtle to check, and see another five maggots clumped together as far back against their skin and shell as possible. Must've taken me five hours to get them all off/out of the turtles. My new female was enjoying them after I got them out of her. Kept trying to hunt them after I flicked them off. I ended up letting her have a bunch while supervising to make sure they didn't crawl back on her. Everyone else seemed a little freaked out by my unusual man-handling and constant water changes. But they forgave me pretty quick when I put the giant pile of food down. Evidently soooomeone loves squash

Oh sorry about asking again I just saw your other post on my thread thank you so much! Congrats on your new turtles!