Can’t find incandescent flood bulbs

brid

Location (City and/or State)
PA
My 8x3 table is almost finished and I’m working out the lighting. I’ve learned here that the fluker’s basking bulb I’ve been using is no good. I have a repti tuff halogen bulb but I’ve read they’re no good either.

I live in PA and have searched everywhere - hardware stores, farm supply stores, grocery stores, dollar stores, Amazon, online - and cannot find an incandescent flood bulb to save my life. Everything is either LED or halogen.

I have found A19 incandescent regular light bulbs on Amazon. I have an 8.5” deep dome fixture. Would this produce the same effect as a flood light and if so, what wattage would you suggest for an 8x4 open table? I’ll also have one CHE for heat and can add a second during the colder months if needed.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Incandescent bulb sales in the US was banned as of Aug 2023. (Actually bulb have to produce 45 lumens/watt to be sold and incandescents only can produce about 15/watt.) So getting incandescents at a hardware or big box store is a thing of the past. You can still get "specialty bulbs' that are incandescent. Reptile bulbs qualify.

I use these. Comes in 50, 75 and 100 watt.

brid

PA
Incandescent bulb sales in the US was banned as of Aug 2023. (Actually bulb have to produce 45 lumens/watt to be sold and incandescents only can produce about 15/watt.) So getting incandescents at a hardware or big box store is a thing of the past. You can still get "specialty bulbs' that are incandescent. Reptile bulbs qualify.

I’m headed out this evening to get some things for the new setup, I’ll look to see if they have these. Thank you!

brid

PA

This is what I have and this one is definitely not okay to use?

Attachments

• IMG_8982.png
    IMG_8982.png
    488.8 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Flukers leaves the details off the package which causes lots of confusion. You want a flood bulb, not a spot bulb. That package doesn't specify which it is, but it looks pretty "floody" to me. Look at the bulb itself. There is sometimes a little engraving around the top of the metal part that screws in. Sometimes the info is printed on the actual bulb. Look for something that says "BR 30" or "BR 40".

brid

PA
Flukers leaves the details off the package which causes lots of confusion. You want a flood bulb, not a spot bulb. That package doesn't specify which it is, but it looks pretty "floody" to me. Look at the bulb itself. There is sometimes a little engraving around the top of the metal part that screws in. Sometimes the info is printed on the actual bulb. Look for something that says "BR 30" or "BR 40".
Thank you!! I’ll check it out then when I get home. I buy them in bulk for my bearded dragons so that would be super convenient.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let us know what you find out about it. It would be nice if it were a flood for those prices. I looked it up on chewy and the one that is a spot bulb says it's a spot bulb. That makes me think this one is a flood but with the watts being different, it could just be another spot.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I was able to find incandescent brooder bulbs (150w) from Rural King and Tractor Supply. Not sure I'd put those in a smaller enclosure without a dimmer though.

brid

PA
Let us know what you find out about it. It would be nice if it were a flood for those prices. I looked it up on chewy and the one that is a spot bulb says it's a spot bulb. That makes me think this one is a flood but with the watts being different, it could just be another spot.
It doesn’t say anything on the bulb besides the brand name and wattage. It looks identical to other flood lights but I don’t think I’ll chance it.

brid

PA
I was able to find incandescent brooder bulbs (150w) from Rural King and Tractor Supply. Not sure I'd put those in a smaller enclosure without a dimmer though.
I may have to go that route if at some point I’m unable to find the Arcadia flood light. I was fortunate to find the only 75w left on the shelf at a pet store.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I may have to go that route if at some point I’m unable to find the Arcadia flood light. I was fortunate to find the only 75w left on the shelf at a pet store.
Might try to get a hold of the Fluker company and see if you can get an answer from them.
The ones Markw84 posted a link to are not expensive and are one of the better lighting to use. He raises many, so I would trust his recommendation 100%

brid

PA
Might try to get a hold of the Fluker company and see if you can get an answer from them.
The ones Markw84 posted a link to are not expensive and are one of the better lighting to use. He raises many, so I would trust his recommendation 100%
I was able to grab the last 75w on the shelf tonight at the pet store. I’ll be ordering from the link he posted to make sure I have back up bulbs for when I need them.

I thought about trying to ask the company about the fluker’s bulbs so I may do that since they are such a good price. Either way, my tortoise is set up with correct lighting now, finally! Thank you all for your help!!