Box turtle with black eyes; male or female?

Dutch box turtles

Hi guys,
I am from The Netherlands and I would like to share some pictures of one of my 2013 Eastern box turtle hatchlings. I always thought this animal was female because of the eye color and flat plastron, but today I looked a little better at the tail, which looks like a male tail. What do you think? Have you ever seen box turtles with such dark eyes by the way?

Attachments

• DSC07039klein.jpg
    DSC07039klein.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC07042klein.jpg
    DSC07042klein.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC07045klein.jpg
    DSC07045klein.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 35

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I cannot see the tail very well....it's too far away. They are beautiful turtles!

Dutch box turtles

Hi Lisa, thank you. I have 8 adults Terrapene carolina carolina already for about 20 years. And last year I finally managed to get some ornate box turtles. There are not that many people breading them in Europe and especiallu male ornates are almost impossible to get. It is actually in the middle of the night here but I will post better pictures tomorrow. I do have one from when it was smaller but it is also not very clear...IMG_0252.JPG

Dutch box turtles

Thanks again, they come with natural beauty don't they. The 2 ornate juveniles on top I picked up in France when they were still baby's. The others have been with me already for a long time. They are fun to watch. I am always amazed when they are trying to get a cricket, the ornates are very fast, carolina's are much slower. They all have their own personality. What kind of turtles do you have?

Dutch box turtles

And thank you as well of course Abraham. It is nice to make some new turtle friends overseas:) I am generally not that good in posting messages but I will try to look more frequently...I am going to bed now, local time is 02:06:confused:. I will post a new tail picture tomorrow. bye bye

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wow, you have a fantastic group! Love the guy in the mud......All I have to say is don't be a stranger on here, keep posting these beauties!

Dutch box turtles

Still here I can't stop. I agree...he is very pale but I love him as he has a really cool expression due to his eyelid somehow. Actually he is also looking at you right now as I used his picture for my profile. His name is Axel

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i never go by eye color to sex them. I look at the underside of the tail mostly. Also the shape of the plastron.

Dutch box turtles

Hi all,
I made some better pictures. Interested to hear your thoughts on the gender. it is a very shy animal, not aggresive at all at to me looks and actsDSC07046.JPG DSC07047.JPG DSC07048 - kopie.JPG DSC07053.JPG DSC07054.JPG DSC07055.JPG DSC07059.JPG DSC07060.JPG like a female except for the tail.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm thinking female but do agree that tail is long. It's funny I counted the lines on the bottom and guessed a 3 year old before I read the 2013. Either way it's a pretty little turtle.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Looks female to me. In males the vent is well past the edge of the shell

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Maybe this will help you.

Attachments

• SexingBoxTurtles2.pdf