Maggie's comments...

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
OK...Knobby now has a complete ramp door and the temp strips...I am so proud of him...he took to the door strips as if he'd been doing it forever...just walking in and out...he's using the ramp good and I thought he was now set up for a few years... I am about half way thru finishing off his new pen...so I have one end blocked off with cinder block and on the other side is my pile of cut blackberry vines...Tuesday morning I woke up normally...at like 3:30 ready for coffee...so I sit up...balance out the blood in my head...stand up and go crashing down to the floor...saved from damage by a pile of dirty clothes...my left leg gave out and the pain was indescribable...so I crawl back to the bed and try to figure out what was happening...at a reasonable time I call my son, he gets me and off to the hospital we go...I cannot stand, walk or sit...so I got to lay down in his Subaru...but getting into the hospital was not fun and they wouldn't let my son come in so they threw me into a wheel chair that made me holler...oh hurt...got an xray...pinched nerve in my back...so I got a bed upstairs...my son went and closed up my house for me, and fed the birds...so I was just trying to put it all together and get settled in bed...pets, house, worry...tortoises! Oh my! So the nurse comes in with an injection...I say" What's that"? Demerol she replied...oh s**thouse mouse...I start to salivate...all the fireworks are going off in my head...Demerol...oh yeah fine...cool...but my mouth says " I can't take that...I am a recovering opiate addict". So she leaves and I try to go to sleep and in about 2 hours she's back with my clothes!!! "If you are going to refuse treatment you have to leave..."! In the 15 years I've lived here I have been kicked out of that ER 3 times because I took drugs...now they kick me out of the hospital because I wouldn't take drugs...jerks...so home in the middle of the night and in the morning first thing I go out to check on my tortoises...Big Sam is in his sleeping box and Knobby is nowhere to be seen...crap...my son didn't make sure the torts were inside and close their doggie door...so where is Knobby?
Not there...
View attachment 296487
nor here...
View attachment 296488
to be continued...hurts...sorry
That’s outrageous. I hope you reported that healthcare worker and hospital to someone! Don’t know who exactly you’d report it to, but that’s the most callous thing I’ve heard in a long time. I was hit by a car in the 1980s. I’m 66 yo and still learning to living with pain. We have simply got to find a way to deal with pain instead of just masking it. “Here, let me fill you with drugs, so ONE you’ll be a more compliant patient, TWO your pain will be lessened THREE you cannot function as a human being. This really pissed me off, Maggie. I’m so sorry you are going through this. You shouldn’t have to.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
OK...Knobby now has a complete ramp door and the temp strips...I am so proud of him...he took to the door strips as if he'd been doing it forever...just walking in and out...he's using the ramp good and I thought he was now set up for a few years... I am about half way thru finishing off his new pen...so I have one end blocked off with cinder block and on the other side is my pile of cut blackberry vines...Tuesday morning I woke up normally...at like 3:30 ready for coffee...so I sit up...balance out the blood in my head...stand up and go crashing down to the floor...saved from damage by a pile of dirty clothes...my left leg gave out and the pain was indescribable...so I crawl back to the bed and try to figure out what was happening...at a reasonable time I call my son, he gets me and off to the hospital we go...I cannot stand, walk or sit...so I got to lay down in his Subaru...but getting into the hospital was not fun and they wouldn't let my son come in so they threw me into a wheel chair that made me holler...oh hurt...got an xray...pinched nerve in my back...so I got a bed upstairs...my son went and closed up my house for me, and fed the birds...so I was just trying to put it all together and get settled in bed...pets, house, worry...tortoises! Oh my! So the nurse comes in with an injection...I say" What's that"? Demerol she replied...oh s**thouse mouse...I start to salivate...all the fireworks are going off in my head...Demerol...oh yeah fine...cool...but my mouth says " I can't take that...I am a recovering opiate addict". So she leaves and I try to go to sleep and in about 2 hours she's back with my clothes!!! "If you are going to refuse treatment you have to leave..."! In the 15 years I've lived here I have been kicked out of that ER 3 times because I took drugs...now they kick me out of the hospital because I wouldn't take drugs...jerks...so home in the middle of the night and in the morning first thing I go out to check on my tortoises...Big Sam is in his sleeping box and Knobby is nowhere to be seen...crap...my son didn't make sure the torts were inside and close their doggie door...so where is Knobby?
Not there...
View attachment 296487
nor here...
View attachment 296488
to be continued...hurts...sorry

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Sorry Maggie, but this still pisses me off. Please at least write a letter to the hospital administrator. You communicate very well through the written word. Power of the Pen! I’m so angry that they treated you that way. I’m going to have to go find a tortoise to cuddle to calm down! Luckily I know right where to find one! Best wishes.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
All hospitals are supposed to post a patient Bill of Rights. They violated your patient Bill of Rights and you should let them know. Patients are under no obligation whatsoever to follow the advice of any physician and I am a physician so I am quite sure of this. It was very callous and disrespectful and I agree that you should inform the hospital administrator that that happened. On a different topic, your tortoise is absolutely adorable and I love your stories as well. I hope you are feeling much better.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
All hospitals are supposed to post a patient Bill of Rights. They violated your patient Bill of Rights and you should let them know. Patients are under no obligation whatsoever to follow the advice of any physician and I am a physician so I am quite sure of this. It was very callous and disrespectful and I agree that you should inform the hospital administrator that that happened. On a different topic, your tortoise is absolutely adorable and I love your stories as well. I hope you are feeling much better.
Yeah, what he said!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh the stories I could tell about the Samaritan Death System in Oregon. The treatment I have received at my local hospital would curl your toes. The system is so corrupt it shocked me...among the 'powers that be' who I have complained to have said that Samaritan's treatment of me is the result of "long term abuse BY ME"...my emotions fueled by heroin and Oxycontin...Samaritan is a health system running all thru Oregon...it's very hard to find a private doctor here...someone who is not connected to Samaritan. Frankly...from what other doctors and medical people have told me, I am very lucky that their treatment or lack of same of me didn't result in my death...at least 3 times...

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Not to get too political, but Healthcare in this country is an abomination. I’ve lived elsewhere. It CAN work if we take the profit margins out of the equation. Not trying to start a stink here, just upset for Maggie’s shameful treatment. It doesn’t have to be this way.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Maggie I hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself.

I work for Kaiser Permanente Ontario Hospital and a patient would never be treated that way. If a patient was disrespected and Administration found out about it that person, even if a physician, would be in a lot of trouble. Kaiser Permanente treats all patients with respect and kindness.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh the stories I could tell about the Samaritan Death System in Oregon. The treatment I have received at my local hospital would curl your toes. The system is so corrupt it shocked me...among the 'powers that be' who I have complained to have said that Samaritan's treatment of me is the result of "long term abuse BY ME"...my emotions fueled by heroin and Oxycontin...Samaritan is a health system running all thru Oregon...it's very hard to find a private doctor here...someone who is not connected to Samaritan. Frankly...from what other doctors and medical people have told me, I am very lucky that their treatment or lack of same of me didn't result in my death...at least 3 times...

Maggie I hope you are not walking around with a Fracture somewhere in your body. If you walked around for 9 months with all those injuries, God only knows what might be damaged right now.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Lynn s says hello to her friend knobby