low growing grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
What's old low growing grass that is dense? Is Kentucky bluegrass good or Bermuda grass for radiata and Yniphora to graze. They are only 13 cm. so it should be dense at a short height.

What are some local grass types in Madagascar?

Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Though Madagascar is home to more than 13000 species of plants, very little has actually been described. Until further studies of Madagascar's flora can be made, the grass types you mentioned are definitely good to go. It's great that people would do extra work to get their tortoises on the best diet possible. ;)

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Radiated said:
What's old low growing grass that is dense? Is Kentucky bluegrass good or Bermuda grass for radiata and Yniphora to graze. They are only 13 cm. so it should be dense at a short height.

What are some local grass types in Madagascar?

Thanks

Just a suggestion. Contact your local golf club. Ask the greens keeper about short dense grasses used on the greens and in the fairways.

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
tortuga_please said:
That's a pretty good idea to ask a greens keeper.

Now that you have the name (s) of short growing species of grass, contact your local sod grower/producer as the golf club is not a supplier of grasses. Buy sod and cut it to fit your enclosure. Seeding provides a quick but delicate sorce of grasses for tortoise and is not tough enough for tortoise activity and grazing. When seeding grass it needs to be 6-8 weeks old before it is trodden or cut for the first time. Once grass is cut is sends out new roots to hold the soil and begins new apical bud growth at each node. Good luck

Radiated

5 Year Member
I play golf everyday, they often have different grasses, some use kentucky blue grass, others have bermuda, and for greens and sometimes fairways they often use bent grass. But I am not willing to purchase sod because n China they use fertilizers and pesticides although they tell you they don't. So which on is better and faster and hardier. Which one taste better for torts?

Thanks

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Oh they just said this on that episode of king of the hill I just watched lol now I can't remember.

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Radiated said:
I play golf everyday, they often have different grasses, some use kentucky blue grass, others have bermuda, and for greens and sometimes fairways they often use bent grass. But I am not willing to purchase sod because n China they use fertilizers and pesticides although they tell you they don't. So which on is better and faster and hardier. Which one taste better for torts?

Thanks

Radiated
As to which one tastes better, ask your tortoise... As for which one is better read in the diet area of the forum... It is a mixture of grasses... NOT just one species. Use all of them... Part of the fascination of the hobby is collecting/growing as many different kinds of plants/weeds that will make up a part of my animals diet... Good luck

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Bermuda...I have seen this species used with an adult breeding group of Radiata. It works well and will grown and cover holes fast. Just get a variety that will grow best in your zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.