Red footed tortoise don't eat fruit and general eating problems

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
An update.

We were on holiday for 2 weeks and I leave the tort to my parents. He continue to don't eat nothing, only tortoise food pellet. My parents give him only 2-3 pellets a day, and one day banana, and he lost another time weight.
We tried with all kind of food but nothing. Today he eat 9 pellet and 6 meal worms put into a mix of hibiscus flowers cut in very small pieces but he select only pellet and worms. Yesterday I tried with kiwi, mango, tomato, dandelion and clover but nothing. And if juice of fruit is adsorbed by pellet he doesn't eat pellet too. I really don't know what to do anymore. I continue with pellet but i don't think it's okay to just eat that. On september 2023 he was more or less 580 g and now 475 g.
You should book a vet appointment (try to search for the one, who has experience with tortoises). This also could be worms reinfestation, so do a fecal test again, please.

In the meanwhile:
1. Raise temperatures a little (+1-2C)
2. Get Betadine (povidone-iodine) in pharmacy, make a dilluted solution (1 to 30). Apply twice a day with a cotton swab. You may start only with external beak part. In two-three days before a vet visit - stop it, otherwise it would mess with diagnosis. Be sure to tell your vet about using iodine.
3. Don't limit amount of pellets. While contents isn't perfect, he needs nutrients.

From what you describe, looks like he avoids acidic and hard foods. However, it doesn't look like stomatitis on photos. It could be a small infected injury, though.

If you have a food processor - try to make a meal for him there, using only greens, pellets and banana.

In EU, Mazuri is sold under the trademark Nutrazu, look if you can get 5M21 Tortoise Diet.

Keep us updated. I worry about him.

Martellone

Italy
You should book a vet appointment (try to search for the one, who has experience with tortoises). This also could be worms reinfestation, so do a fecal test again, please.

In the meanwhile:
1. Raise temperatures a little (+1-2C)
2. Get Betadine (povidone-iodine) in pharmacy, make a dilluted solution (1 to 30). Apply twice a day with a cotton swab. You may start only with external beak part. In two-three days before a vet visit - stop it, otherwise it would mess with diagnosis. Be sure to tell your vet about using iodine.
3. Don't limit amount of pellets. While contents isn't perfect, he needs nutrients.

From what you describe, looks like he avoids acidic and hard foods. However, it doesn't look like stomatitis on photos. It could be a small infected injury, though.

If you have a food processor - try to make a meal for him there, using only greens, pellets and banana.

In EU, Mazuri is sold under the trademark Nutrazu, look if you can get 5M21 Tortoise Diet.

Keep us updated. I worry about him.
Thank you

Martellone

Italy
I use the Agrobs brand here in Europe, but I agree with Alex and wouldn't try changing the pellets right now.
Ok.
This morning i create a meal with mixer with banana, greens and pellet but he refused it. I put 2 meal worms on meal mixture and he take only worms without other. After a short time I give to him only pellets and he eat. I will continue with pellets.

PS Yesterday evening i bought betadine and i started to treat external mouth.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Ok.
This morning i create a meal with mixer with banana, greens and pellet but he refused it. I put 2 meal worms on meal mixture and he take only worms without other. After a short time I give to him only pellets and he eat. I will continue with pellets.

PS Yesterday evening i bought betadine and i started to treat external mouth.
Thank you for the update!
Keep weekly track of his weight. He should gain a bit every week.

Also, try offering some white mushrooms - redfoots usually love them.

And, please, continue posting about his progress, vet visit and such.

Martellone

Italy
An update.
Today we have a very good temperature and i put the tort in the "summer" enclosure for all afternoon. He was very active and he eat some clover sprouts (bad guy!!in the indoor enclusure he doesn't eat greens in aniway)
This week after a long research i finally found Mazuri. The ls version of small tortoise but he like it. Today i mix some mazuri with an hybiscus petal and he eat.

Attachments

• IMG-20240511-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20240511-WA0004.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Great news!!!
Mazuri (Nutrazu) LS - is better than original (5M21) in composition. Many tortoises don't like it but your guy knows what's good for him! I hope he is finally becoming a "voracious eater" like a redfoot should be :)

How is his mouth?

Martellone

Italy
Hello! Great news!!!
Mazuri (Nutrazu) LS - is better than original (5M21) in composition. Many tortoises don't like it but your guy knows what's good for him! I hope he is finally becoming a "voracious eater" like a redfoot should be :)

How is his mouth?
The mouth after diluited betadine treatment is better but the cut in the mouth is still open for a extra part of beack that the veterinary didn't want cut!!!! That start to brocken

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The mouth after diluited betadine treatment is better but the cut in the mouth is still open for a extra part of beack that the veterinary didn't want cut!!!! That start to brocken
Can you post a new photo? Hopefully it can be filed up with a nail buff.

Martellone

Italy
I think so but my girlfriend is worried about to make it. Now he sleep. Tomorrow i try to take a picture but is difficult beacause is a sort of teeth at the internal of the tip of beack.

The biggest problem is how to keep open the mouth during the cut.

Martellone

Italy
I found two screenshots from the video that I make fore you some weeks ago. In this pictures isn't very clear but is an extension in the withe part of tip of beack

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240511_191213_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240511_191213_Gallery.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240511_191115_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240511_191115_Gallery.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 2

Martellone

Italy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240511_191213_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240511_191213_Gallery.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240511_191115_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240511_191115_Gallery.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Is difficult to see in those pictures. It is much longer than you can see in the pictures because the low quality
Hello!
I've checked older threads on the forum. Unfortunately, is not much information on trimming lower beak there.
The procedure is like following:
1. You need to make tortoise open it's mouth (e.g. with treat). Put something like stem or toothpick to keep him from closing mouth.
2. Catch his head with a thumb and index finger behind the jaws.
3. File the beak with an emery board.

To be honest, I wouldn't dare to do that myself and would go to the vet. Or you can let it to break on its own with some rough foods (like leaves or a cuttlefish bone). When it breaks, provide soft food for several weeks until it heals.

Overgrown lower beak has some relation to lack of calcium and minerals in diet and since your guy eats Mazuri this should not be an issue from now on.
Sometimes it's genetic and it should be trimmed regularly.

Martellone

Italy
Hello!
I've checked older threads on the forum. Unfortunately, is not much information on trimming lower beak there.
The procedure is like following:
1. You need to make tortoise open it's mouth (e.g. with treat). Put something like stem or toothpick to keep him from closing mouth.
2. Catch his head with a thumb and index finger behind the jaws.
3. File the beak with an emery board.

To be honest, I wouldn't dare to do that myself and would go to the vet. Or you can let it to break on its own with some rough foods (like leaves or a cuttlefish bone). When it breaks, provide soft food for several weeks until it heals.

Overgrown lower beak has some relation to lack of calcium and minerals in diet and since your guy eats Mazuri this should not be an issue from now on.
Sometimes it's genetic and it should be trimmed regularly.
Thank you very much. I think is genetic because was grow since he was 2 years old.

I try but is impossibile to open mouth..i block the neck with finger and i try to force he to open mouth but he doesn't.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you very much. I think is genetic because was grow since he was 2 years old.

I try but is impossibile to open mouth..i block the neck with finger and i try to force he to open mouth but he doesn't.
Yes, making him to open mouth and put something to keep it open is a tricky thing. And applying force won't help. That's why I would leave it to the vet. Good vets can do a mild sedation (not a full anesthesia) and have enough experience and right tools to do the job.
With upper beak things are much easier.

As of now, we see him eating (good foods, I have to say!), active and his beak is getting a bit better. We can wait and see if beak situation will resolve (old "tooth" will fall off and new growth will be healthy). Or you can search for another vet (maybe in another city) and get an online consultation first before taking tortoise there. Unfortunately, we have no list of proven italian tortoise vets...

Martellone

Italy
Yes, making him to open mouth and put something to keep it open is a tricky thing. And applying force won't help. That's why I would leave it to the vet. Good vets can do a mild sedation (not a full anesthesia) and have enough experience and right tools to do the job.
With upper beak things are much easier.

As of now, we see him eating (good foods, I have to say!), active and his beak is getting a bit better. We can wait and see if beak situation will resolve (old "tooth" will fall off and new growth will be healthy). Or you can search for another vet (maybe in another city) and get an online consultation first before taking tortoise there. Unfortunately, we have no list of proven italian tortoise vets...
An update..we call the vet and we wait..the problem is that the "tooth" start to broken at the base..he also has a lot of pain when eating because with every bite withdraws his head and legs

Attachments

• IMG-20240517-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240517-WA0004.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20240517-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20240517-WA0005.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 2