Lost Hermann tortoise. (now horsefield)

JessH

Location (City and/or State)
North east Lincolnshire
Hi there ,

I am new to the group and have a beautiful 2 year old tortoise called Rosie. We had a hot day yesterday and whilst pegging out some washing I let her outside with me ( she usually goes in the outdoor pen my husband has built for her ).
Her little head was stretching up as she would rather be out with me.
Anyway my phone rang inside for work and was on charge so I took the call and I totally forgot she wasn’t out with me.

I have searched absolutely everywhere for her and can’t find her anywhere. We have an enclosed garden on two levels. She was on the upper grass level that does have garden edging with few plants and few bushes and a kids play house at the back etc ...We have checked for her everywhere and just can’t find her. We have looked and looked and looked. Under rocks and gone through every bush and every branch every root every everything .
I feel shocking as I am now thinking what if something got her.

I hate that she spent the night outside and I just need some hope that she comes home. We have checked everywhere possible in the garden with no siting at all.

Do you think she might still be okay ?

Jess

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's there somewhere. They're very good at hiding. Look in the a.m. in spots where the first sunlight shines on a fence or bare ground.

JessH

North east Lincolnshire
Thanks Yvonne.

I put she’s a Hermann but she’s actually a horsefield.
I’m so upset !! I feel so guilty that I was the one who let her out and i can’t settle.

I have left a few plates of strawberries and her normal mixed crispy leaves out, hoping for a miracle !!! I’ve checked all fence hedges and everything but I’ve read lots of stories where this has happened and then they have come back so I just hope she’s somewhere and not been taken by an animal or bird x

Thanks Yvonne.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am so sorry to hear this you must be frantic.
Try putting some cucumber and or strawberries around the bushes where you think she could be but where you can keep an eye on it.
Maybe put them under a colander or sieve so they don't get eaten by birds or rodents. Most torts can't resist the smell of those.
My only concern is that it is still cold here at night and she is used to being in the warm.
I know of one lady who set up a che or lamp in her garden ito create a warm spot in the hope the tort would find his way to that.
Good luck i hope she turns up, chances are she's dug in somewhere, but put notices up in the area in case she's wandered out of your garden.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Horsefield tortoises are pretty cold hardy. Don't worry too much about her getting cold.

JessH

North east Lincolnshire
Thank you Lyn and Yvonne for advice and information

Tomorrow is meant to be nice and bright so il get up early and see if there is any sign of her.

Fingers crossed

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
it seems to me they usually walk the perimeter looking for a way out , if they don't find a way out from what I've seen they like to dig into any corners/obstructions they run into , shrubs , or tree roots