Loss of Appetite since RT's been outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
las Vegas, NV
So, on Friday I started letting Comrad spend full time outside (the weather in Vegas has been in the mid 70's during the day and no colder than 48 at night). He is waking up and basking in the sun for a bit and then he goes back into his hide. I have tried feeding him at different times of the day with not a lot of success yet. Today I even gave him a nice soak and tried to feed him afterwards (which has never failed before). He was not interested in the food I brought and trucked around for awhile before heading to his hide again. I have seen him nibble on some dandelions that are growing the 1st day and he also ate a LITTLE bit of what I tried to feed him that 1st day - but I haven't had success since. Do you think I've stressed him out by moving him outdoors? Any suggestions??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, a change in his world can have an affect on him....however, this is normal when they are adjusting....are you going to leave him out 24/7 or simply while the weather is good? I would continue to offer food and would do it at the time of day you notice him active...if he has access to grazing he may be doing just that...so he may not be hungry the same as when you were his only food source....wait around for the others to offer their opinions as well...the more the merrier....:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I wouldn't get too worried. He's just demonstrating the 'tortoises are rubbish at change' theory. I'm sure he'll settle soon :)

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
ascott said:
Yes, a change in his world can have an affect on him....however, this is normal when they are adjusting....are you going to leave him out 24/7 or simply while the weather is good? I would continue to offer food and would do it at the time of day you notice him active...if he has access to grazing he may be doing just that...so he may not be hungry the same as when you were his only food source....wait around for the others to offer their opinions as well...the more the merrier....:D

I am hoping to leave him outside as long as possible. I know that when the mornings heat up to around 90 then I will probably bring him back in..... or not.... I am not sure on that yet. But for NOW while the weather is mild and warm he will be outside 24/7 :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think he's just too cold and it's hampering his appetite. Do you still have the indoor enclosure? Try bringing him in at night and putting him out when the days warm up. Might take a few days, but I bet the appetite picks up.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
Tom said:
I think he's just too cold and it's hampering his appetite. Do you still have the indoor enclosure? Try bringing him in at night and putting him out when the days warm up. Might take a few days, but I bet the appetite picks up.

Thanks Tom! I guess I should try something different huh? I don't like his loss of appetite. I will bring him in tonight and see how it goes for a few days with bringing him in at night and putting him out during the day :)

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
Well, I dislodged Comrad from his outdoor hide last night and put him inside. He must have been too cold in the morning outside, because he was up a full hour earlier today - AND when he saw the food I put out he happily walked over and ate the majority of it! YAY!!!! He is stuck inside today as it's a bit chilly, overcast and windy. Thank you Tom for your suggestion - that seems to have worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.