looking for a box turtle :)

bobby-1179

Location (City and/or State)
Louisa, ky
Hello everyone. I'm a new user and am trying to find some box turtles around my area. I already have everything needed for them. I thought they would b a little easier to find in the wild so I bought everything first then went looking lol I haven't had any luck at local pet stores either. I live in eastern Kentucky and would love to b a turtle owner soon. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). Please do not take any from the wild. Beside it could possibly be illegal, they will not do well and will always be trying to get out and find its way back to where you found it. They are also loaded with parasites, usually. Check out Craigs list in your area, and you can also check out the fauna classifieds. I don't recall if we have any members with any for sale, but you can check out the for sale section.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Definitely do not take them from the wild. They don't adapt and will die eventually. Check out the box turtle section here on the forum to make sure that your enclosures are ready to go. Box turtles do come up for sale or adoption here. Check your local newspaper, craigslist, Petfinders etc. you can also check out the vendors section here on the forum for reviews of different places that have them. Welcome to the forum.

bobby-1179

Louisa, ky
Definitely do not take them from the wild. They don't adapt and will die eventually. Check out the box turtle section here on the forum to make sure that your enclosures are ready to go. Box turtles do come up for sale or adoption here. Check your local newspaper, craigslist, Petfinders etc. you can also check out the vendors section here on the forum for reviews of different places that have them. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely buy instead of getting from the wild. I'll also double check that I do have everything that I need. Thanks for the reply and warm welcome :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Bobby welcome to the TFO from AZ . Box turtles rule ! You have got some great advise for now .

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I have some a wild pair of special needs eastern box turtles.. the female is missing an eye and the male is missing rear feet. I've had them for years and they have adapted to human care. . The female had to be hand fed for months during her rehabilitation. .. she was chewed up pretty good bye something, and I found the male in the road. His foot got ran over and the back of his shell barely nicked.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I have some a wild pair of special needs eastern box turtles.. the female is missing an eye and the male is missing rear feet. I've had them for years and they have adapted to human care. . The female had to be hand fed for months during her rehabilitation. .. she was chewed up pretty good bye something, and I found the male in the road. His foot got ran over and the back of his shell barely nicked.
If you still have the female, I'd be willing to take her off your hands.

Alaskamike

South Florida
An Indiana Boxy was my first tortoise. Found him i my yard- our big garden actually - and he remained wild in our yard (though I claimed I owned him as a pet LOL)
I used to dig up worms for him when he was out and about and he gladly ate them down in front of me. One Spring he just never emerged from hibernation Broke my heart. Never knew if something happened to him or he just moved on. But still have fond memories.
good fortunes in your search for the right one :)