Hello!

MoneyTurtles

Location (City and/or State)
New England
Hi Everyone,

Just introducing myself. I've always loved turtles and tortoises and now that I am finishing school and have my own place I figured now is the perfect time to get one. I have my eyes on a Chinese Box Turtle who needs a home but I also love Eastern Box Turtles. I posted a question already in the Box Turtle Forum about co-habitating the two species. I'd love any insight anyone has on either species of box turtle. Thanks!

MoneyTurtles

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Just to reiterate what you no doubt heard on that other post, it's not a good idea to mix them together in one enclosure.

That said, Cistoclemmys flavomarginata Chinese box turtles and Terrepene carolina c. Eastern Box Turtles would be about the same in personality, both curious, alert always looking for some wiggle food item. You list New England as your location, many if not all the states where Eastern Box turtles are native protect them and/or require some sort of permit, so a bit more expensive, but not necessarily requiring a permit the Chinese Box turtle may be less 'administratively' complicated.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi Everyone,

Just introducing myself. I've always loved turtles and tortoises and now that I am finishing school and have my own place I figured now is the perfect time to get one. I have my eyes on a Chinese Box Turtle who needs a home but I also love Eastern Box Turtles. I posted a question already in the Box Turtle Forum about co-habitating the two species. I'd love any insight anyone has on either species of box turtle. Thanks!

MoneyTurtles
Welcome!!!!

MoneyTurtles

New England
Just to reiterate what you no doubt heard on that other post, it's not a good idea to mix them together in one enclosure.

That said, Cistoclemmys flavomarginata Chinese box turtles and Terrepene carolina c. Eastern Box Turtles would be about the same in personality, both curious, alert always looking for some wiggle food item. You list New England as your location, many if not all the states where Eastern Box turtles are native protect them and/or require some sort of permit, so a bit more expensive, but not necessarily requiring a permit the Chinese Box turtle may be less 'administratively' complicated.

Thanks for the response! Mind if I ask why you think that? I've only gotten one reply on that other post so far and they said the same thing. Just curious about your reasoning since all of the animals would be captive bred and as you said would have similar temperaments

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for the response! Mind if I ask why you think that? I've only gotten one reply on that other post so far and they said the same thing. Just curious about your reasoning since all of the animals would be captive bred and as you said would have similar temperaments
Hi and welcome, you are very wise to research before buying first and asking questions later.
I don't have box turtles but if they are like tortoises, then they may be territorial and not like company and competition so could end up stressed or with injuries. Also even if that's not a problem with them, the more you have the more space they will need so they can have their own space and avoid each if needed.
It isn't recommended to mix species of tortoises because different species can carry different pathogens, so their may be the risk of making them ill. I'm sure a box turtle keeper will be able to tell you if the same applies to them or find the caresheets in the species section and see what they say.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It is nearly impossible to know the history of individual animals, and all the stuff they may pick up along the way.

I heard there is a sex ed experiment to drive home the point. The first kid in the classroom puts a band aid on (not on a would, just regular skin), then takes it off and hands it to the next kid, as so on. Even though it's not been in any active body fluids place, it's still kind'a unsavory. Now, across species, imagine the band aid going from a horse, to a pig, to a person, we are all mammals. They are all turtles, but different species. They have different immune capabilities, and carry different hard to diagnose (find in non-presenting cases) any underlying disease. That the two species do not ever share a native range compounds the matter.

MoneyTurtles

New England
It is nearly impossible to know the history of individual animals, and all the stuff they may pick up along the way.

I heard there is a sex ed experiment to drive home the point. The first kid in the classroom puts a band aid on (not on a would, just regular skin), then takes it off and hands it to the next kid, as so on. Even though it's not been in any active body fluids place, it's still kind'a unsavory. Now, across species, imagine the band aid going from a horse, to a pig, to a person, we are all mammals. They are all turtles, but different species. They have different immune capabilities, and carry different hard to diagnose (find in non-presenting cases) any underlying disease. That the two species do not ever share a native range compounds the matter.

that makes a ton of sense. nice metaphor