Lights

Jakoob1190

Location (City and/or State)
St Austell
Hello! I have a 1 and a half year old horsefield tortoise, and I know that the heat lamp (and UV) is supposed to stay on for 12-14 hours a day, however, still being 14 years old and living with my parents, they won't let me leave them on when there's nobody at home, as they are scared it will catch on fire! So I end up having them on from 3:30 to 10pm (6 and a half hours) which is a half of the minimum time. And I also don't have nighttime heat yet (I am getting it soon). What should I do?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Convince your mom and dad to read the tfo care sheets. And, talk to some of the experts onhear. Maybe we can help if they will listen.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello. I am afraid you MUST convince your parents to read the care sheets and come and talk to us if necessary.

A tortoise is cold-blooded. It cannot make its own body heat like you, or any other mammal, can. This means that it cannot be active, eat or digest food without heat from an external source and no amount of insulation or woolly blankets will change that. A cold tortoise will rapidly get sick and die.

As long as you are buying respectable brand lighting fixtures and bulbs, rather than cheapo Chinese knock-offs, then the risk is no greater than leaving a light on in the house.

The lights and CHE must be secure. Do not use a clamp lamp holder as the clamp may fail and the falling lamp could start a fire. The lamps need to be securely hung from a batten or lamp holder.