New tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmahaddock25

5 Year Member
I recently adopted a 10 month old tortoise! This is the set up that was recommend by the pet shop. I keep the lamp on between 10-12 hours per day. Can anyone give me some advice on how I can improve my enclosure please? ImageUploadedByTortForum1375307871.921674.jpg
Thank you :)

It is a horsefield tortoise and lives in a 3ftx1.4ft enclosure :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
Hi Emma. Welcome! That is beautiful tortoise you have there. I have a sulcata so unfortunately am not familiar with a horsefield tort and their heating/humidity requirements. I am sure someone who is will chime in soon. I would suggest a water dish that is easier to get in and out of - however I cannot really tell from the picture if that is an issue with your current dish. I use a clay saucer that you put under a flower pot.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
For Russian tortoises they need dry and warm conditions. The general temp for a Russian should be in the low 70's while the basking temp should be 90-95 degrees F. Night time can drop down to 60's but not passed. Their burrows need to have at least 70% humidity though, while the rest of the humidity should be lower, like around 50% I think. Is that aspen bedding? What kind of bedding is that? Sometimes aspen bedding can cause irritation in the eyes, and it doesn't hold moisture well, I prefer coco coir, or Eco Earth for any digging animal like tortoises or hermit crabs (which I have many of XD). I've never used an MVB bulb so I don't know what they look like, is that what your using? Or is that just a basking bulb? I also would add some obstacles/"toys" like boulders or rocks for him/her crawl on. Also you can plant some edible plants in there too ^^

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:). I would also change the substrate. Coconut coir, cypress mulch or plain dirt. Add some edible plants for him. You can look for some safe plants on the tortoisetable.org. Bury the water dish to be level with the substrate. Humidity can be 40-45 for his size. If that light isn't UVB then you will need to get one, unless he can get outside several times(4-5)a week for natural sun light.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
That is much better than what my petstore would recommend. The grass around the glass part of the tank is great, the tort can't see out and won't try to get out.

I'd recommend getting plain old top soil and be generous! I have three inches of soil, or one and a half bags in there and my tortoise still can't get enough of her digging! (cheap for a nice sized bag like two dollars a piece.) and be careful with those water bowls. What we prefer to use are terra cotta saucers, glazed for water and just regular old saucer for food. I have a glazed eight inch for water so my gal can soak and a four inch saucer for food since anything larger is just taking up space. The saucers are easier for the tort to get into and has a much lower drowning potential (tortoise flips in the water and can't get out/breathe)

If they are shallow enough and easy for your tort to get in and out of it shouldn't be a problem. Just a recommendation if they're too steep.
Besides all that, I'd love to see some close ups of the little tortie! I got a sub adult Russian since I don't think I'm ready for a baby but I'd love to see your little darling!

emmahaddock25

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for your help everyone! I am looking to replace her substrate and water dish. Also added some boulders to her cage so that she can climb. How deep do you recommend making the substrate within the enclosure? Thank you :)
Here are some pictures of petunia :D
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375642928.895817.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375642991.220453.jpg
Petunia In her outdoor enclosure :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.