Lighting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thwaitey

5 Year Member
My tortoise table is coming tomorrow and its coming with a heating bulb and a UVB bulb, but I think I should buy new ones incase these have been previously used and on their last legs. What watt bulbs do I need? And is a UVB with UVA bulb better than just UVB?

Any help will be appreciated, cheers!

Minority1

5 Year Member
You need both actually. 12 hours on/12 hours off for indoor enclosures. Some people also recommend using MVB (mercury vapor bulbs) along with their UVB tube lights. (not compact florescent*) 60watt household light bulbs should be good enough for a basking light. You can easily find most of the information from various sites by googling.

Is this a used tortoise table that you bought? If so ask the owners how long have their had their last replacement, new tables should come with new everything.

Jd3

5 Year Member
The reptile mvb bulbs are all uv bulbs. You don't need a UVB and a separate mvb...

Just to clarify on the last post.

Thwaitey

5 Year Member
I would imagine its new as I think he sells quite a few. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365016319.148963.jpg

What two bulbs would be best to put in the holders? And do I need a tube as well?

Sorry for the amount of questions, just want to make sure I keep my tortoise happy :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jd3

5 Year Member
If the table is new why are the bulbs suspected to be old? Why not ask?

The fixture shown would not work well with mvb. They should be kept in 10" vertically hung(no angle) reflectors with ventilation holes

Minority1

5 Year Member
Jd3 said:
The reptile mvb bulbs are all uv bulbs. You don't need a UVB and a separate mvb...

Just to clarify on the last post.

Negative. MVB bubls are not all in one bulbs. Depending on the size of your indoor habitat, the light will not cover enough space. When your tortoise starts moving around about exploring, it won't receive the UV it needs unless it stays in the vicinity of the MVB.

I personally stick with the traditional basking lamp and UVB tube for my two tortoises. But I have seen others use it so I thought I'd put it as a separate option.

Thwaitey

5 Year Member
It's difficult to get a reply from the seller. And I wanted to know what bulbs would be best..

Status
Not open for further replies.