Need advice for lighting..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I've been reading up a lot on lighting watts, bulbs, and UVB/UVA output lately. Tell me, what would be the best setup I could possibly have with a combo terrarium hood? It has 2 sockets for regular bulbs, and also a place for an 18" florescent bulb. If any of you remember, I've been using a 20 Watt Zilla Desert 50 Series Coil bulb, and a Reptisun 75 Watt Basking Lamp bulb. Then I heard about the problems that can arise from the coil bulbs. I've stopped using it temporarily as I know they can live without it for a short time. But what would be the best setup I could have? Websites, or suggestions of where I can buy 'em would be helpful too =] Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use clamp light fixtures, so my opinion would be to ditch the aquarium hood. I don't thing those have ceramic bases, do they? If they're plastic or Bakelite, then they get too hot when you put the heavy duty lights in them.

LLReptile is a good place to buy from. They have a web site.

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Ditch the hood light, and get a mercury vapor bulb, that's my thought.

You can get a 10" clamp lamp for 8$ from your local hardware store, and most places online have Trex or Powersun MVB (combo heat and uvb output) for around 30-50$. I use Trex with my torts. I love them.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Much appreciated everyone. I'm gonna ditch the hood as soon as I can. Too bad I can't win the lottery :p Meg I found that other new thread where you referenced this thread, and found the T-Rex Mercury Vapor bulb on reptiledepot.com. Would you recommend keeping this bulb at a 12" distance from the substrate?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Yup. That's how I keep my bulbs---pick up one of those stands too! Sorry I didn't post the links for you. :( Had to get all literal in that other thread haha. Reptile Depot is the way to go! Love them.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Haha no worries, with a bit of exploring I found everything. It looks like a great space saver too, as right now I'm always having to go around the stupid hood...Craigslist here I come! Anyone want an almost-brand-new hood? :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The distance from the substrate, 12 to 18 inches for a 100 watt MVB typically, depends on your room temperature and what basking temperature you want. Follow the instructions on the box and see what height is ideal to get your desired temperature. Having an accurate thermometer is key. Make sure you get a ceramic socket; if you get them from a hardware store or used, you will have to be more careful with that. A 10 inch diameter, deep, hood is best.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Make sure you get a ceramic socket; if you get them from a hardware store or used, you will have to be more careful with that. A 10 inch diameter, deep, hood is best.

Hi Kate: Just curious to know why you have to be more careful with a ceramic socketed hood from a hardward store?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...www.PetMountain.com has good prices too.
I was given a couple of those combo hoods. I put a ReptiSun 10 fluorescent UVB, a 100 watt household bulb, and a 60 watt black light in the one for my Russians and the one for the baby Sulcata. I set it at an angle on a 75 gal breeder tank with a screen top. The black light stayed on 24/7 and the other 2 were on a timer on 14 off 10 hrs. In warm weather they are outside.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.