Lighting Set up in glass enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACD1sM

5 Year Member
Hello all and thanks again for getting me started correctly on my tortoise !

I had a question...The day's that I am able to get my tortoise out for an hour or so do I need to turn on the Reptisun bulb again or should he be fine for the rest of the day ? I figured the days I can't get him out I will run a Reptisun bulb on him and on days I can I will just run a normal plant or aquarium bulb for the rest of the day period until night. Is this a good way to set up a natural experience for a Redfoot ? Or at least a healthy one... I have purchased a Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Combo Fixture and plan on putting a Reptisun bulb in out fixture and a plant bulb in the other part. How does this sound ?

Also I will be running a heat emitter over the hide on the opposite side of the tank. Thank's again !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, you don't have to put the light on for those days. You don't have to put it on really all summer long if he can get sun light more days of the week then not.

ACD1sM

5 Year Member
Ah, ok. Should I use a plant and aquarium light to give the tank maybe a little more light than the room has ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ACD1sM said:
Ah, ok. Should I use a plant and aquarium light to give the tank maybe a little more light than the room has ?

Depends. If the normal room lighting still leaves the tank a little dark and not as bright as out door day time, then yes I would still turn a light on. You may still ha e to use heat emitters also to keep the temps right, but you won't have to use the UVB lights for the days he out or at all, if he gets outside a lot.

ACD1sM

5 Year Member
Oooh awesome! O.k. cool thanks !

What wattage plant bulb and which Reptisun would you suggest for a 60 gallon tank ?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Plant and aquaria lights are not really great choices for reptiles- they are optimized for plant growth and/or to enhance colors in water. Tortoises should get a fairly balanced white light, like a plain incandescent bulb or a 'superwhite' (deluxe white, etc.) fluorescent.

It does not take a lot of wattage to light up a reptile tank. You can light an entire bedroom on a 75-100w bulb, so 25-40 watts is all you usually need depending on your set up. Bulbs are cheap enough that I suggest starting with the lowest wattage you can find and working up from there.

The 'floodlight' thing goes back to the days when lights provided much of the heat as well- few reptiles in the wild spend all day staring at bright lights.

ACD1sM

5 Year Member
Ok perfect. I will get a 25 watt incandescent bulb for one and a reptisun for the other to complete my double deep mini dome combo. Thank you very much all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.