Lighting help for Russian!

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
The exotic pet shop obviously recommended the wrong products that i am learning about each day that I am reading on the forum. I have the UVB dual mini tubes that go in the clamp deep dome, I'm pretty sure the brands for the basking and UVB is zoomed, I threw away the lightbulb boxes so I have no idea for sure. I read can burn his eyes so obviously I am looking for something that will accommodate the deep dome fixture I already have while I wait until I can afford to build a table. ImageUploadedByTortForum1395894014.388463.jpg

I live in Florida but my balcony I can't always take him onto because the sun is never really shining on it for where the balcony is located. I would take him out on the grass but I know chemicals are used so until I move into a house together with my boyfriend which I'm anticipating to be this year, obviously Arnold will be in heaven with a fenced in chemical free backyard. Until then, I need to work with the deep dome and what light brands will be best. I read a lot of mixed reviews with powersun mercury vapor bulb 100w and worry about the "flickering" and only lasting 3 months.

I would love to get a incandescent flood bulb that is a good brand, don't care if it's a pet store bulb or hardware store brand, as long as Arnold's basking spot is 90-95 like it is now. But also what UVB/UVA bulb would be appropriate for the clamp deep dome? Personally I am not comfortable with the long tubes that go in the hood fixtures, because I feel as though these bulbs seem very fragile and thin and could break easily which would worry me, so if any suggestions could work around that would be awesome!

Also, I have the zoomed digital yellow thermometer and was wondering what thermometer is best? I dunno how accurate it is but it always seems to be in the range I need. It has the white tip that gets the temp reading under the light but if there is a better digital thermometer I would love to see it.

This is my first tort so I would love to learn the best products/brands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you get a Powersun you won't need the flood bulb. If you use a regular flood bulb, you still need UV and the only bulb that screws in to a socket like that are the ones you don't want to use.

The long florescent tubes are not fragile and have been used for decades with no problems.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Yeah I've been reading a lot of posts and looking at different bulbs online. I like how the powersun mvb has everything in one bulb but I obviously don't want anything that will burn his little eyes!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have four year old Powersuns that still run just fine. Now I had assumed that they are probably putting out no UV because of everything I've always read on the internet. I still use them just for heat and light. Recently I got a couple of UV meters and I've been playing with them and having fun. Just to see what these old bulbs were actually doing I put the meter under them. At a distance of 12" through a screen top I was getting VERY high UV numbers. The equivalent of mid day equatorial sunshine. I expected to get ZERO. I was very surprised.

The moral of my little story is this: For those people who are dependent upon indoor UV for large portions of every year, you NEED a UV meter. You need it every bit as much as you need a thermometer to tell your temperatures. Yes it is reasonably expensive, but for an animal that will live 100+ years, a couple hundred dollars for a good meter to keep your tortoise in good health does not seem unreasonable to me.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Well obviously the powersun will only be temporary until I move and he can have the yard out back and yes I would love to invest in a UV meter as well. Anything to help monitor the safety of Arnold

Whitneyrae

I have a question about the powersun, I have the zoomed deep dome and the long dual tubes for my UVB, will the powersun bulbs fit in my existing lamps? also when I very first got the deep dome my temps were 90-95 and it's only been about a week and my average temp now is 88 even though I started keeping my room much hotter, do they start to wear out that quick?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The temp should not change at all. The UV output is reported to drop off, but the heat out put should not. If it is on and it is a 100 watt bulb, it is still burning 100 watts whether its brand new or four years old.

Here are the light meters. Don't let the price scare you off. They work well, last a long time, are accurate, and your tortoise bone health is worth it. People used to use the 6.2 model, but most have now switched to the 6.5 model as it gives a more accurate reading of the specific UV wavelengths that our tortoises need.
http://www.solarmeter.com