New here, need quick response for UVB Lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Hello all,

I am new here, and have an urgent question. We have a new Russian, our first. The pet store sold us only a UVA bulb, which we quickly learned was incorrect (thanks to the exotic pet vet we went to). I went out and bought a 26W 10.0 UVB Compact bulb from the brand Exo-Terra. The bulb is found here: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/compact_fluorescent_bulbs.php

The terrarium (40Gal) currently has the UVA bulb in an aluminum dome clamped to the top of the terrarium pointed in the corner for a basking area. I need to know if I should replace it with the new UVB bulb (again, 10.0 UVB Compact 26W), or if I should supplement the UVA bulb by putting the UVB next to it (or will that get too hot?). Is the 10.0 too much for our little Russian? I see on that web link there is a 5.0 as well.

We haven't had him long, but we want to fix this problem right away. But, I don't want to plug the new bulb in until I know its safe.

Can anyone provide some thoughts and advice on this new bulb, and if it will be OK or not?

Thanks and sorry for the urgency!

ruanda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portugal
You can put both, but not next to each other.
Distance: 20/25 cms from the carapace.
5.0 is enough for horsfieldi.
Good luck for your new baby!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I like the 5.0 better for a tortoise, or best yet a MVB bulb for both heat and UV. Buy thru the web, muck cheeper than a pet store even with shipping charges! The differance of 5.0 and 10.0 is the effective distance the UV is good for! 10.0 is better for a chameleon where they may get farther from the light!

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...s/-/zoo-med-100-watt-powersun-uvb-heat-bulbs/

This may get too hot for your current set up! Better to take a week or two with no uv and do it right, than rush it now and not have an optimal set up!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The compact bulbs were causing eye problems when they first came out, and I've never trusted them since then. When you say, "compact" do you mean the bulbs that are in a spiral?

Yvonne

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
The compact bulbs were causing eye problems when they first came out, and I've never trusted them since then. When you say, "compact" do you mean the bulbs that are in a spiral?

Yvonne

Yes, its a spiral shape that fits into a standard bulb screw spot.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Ditch it. They are terrible. You need a tube, or a Mercury Vapor Bulb, like a Trex or a Powersun.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
They have been known to cause blindness in tortoises.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The type of bulb, not the brand in particular I believe. Better safe than sorry at least.

I couldn't find any articles, but if you do a forum search you will find stuff. Hopefully someone else will have links.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Lots of members here have experienced this, or read about it.

Why are you asking if the bulb is safe, and then when you are told that it's NOT you are arguing about it??

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I had one hatchling blinded and another dead from those bulbs. Please believe me when I tell you to get rid of that awful bulb and get a MVP or a flourscent tube.
Here is a link for you to see...

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm#intro

thanks. ive seen that link earlier today and there seem to be so many different opinions about whether that problem has been fixed or not, which reptiles it harms, and other factors. this is becoming a bit frustrating.

are there any alternatives that would fit on an open top 40gal terrarium? (we took the screen off so we can reach in easier, to feed, clean, etc.) Anything that clamps on like the lamps we have now?

Meg90 said:
Lots of members here have experienced this, or read about it.

Why are you asking if the bulb is safe, and then when you are told that it's NOT you are arguing about it??

Pardon me. I'm not "arguing about it". I'm asking for more information. There are so many varying and opposite opinions out there that I'm just trying to get as much information as I can. My apologies if anyone took it as "arguing", though I don't think it came off that way. Thanks.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Here's an example of the confusion:

A thread on this forum here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-10176.html

In there, someone mentions buying from LLLReptile. Included in their supply list are compact bulbs, such as the one I bought and am being told its harmful. So since that recommended website sells it, its confusing.

Meg, I saw in that same thread you mentioned the clamp lamps. I have the aluminum domes that clamp on. Would those be suitable? If so, if the compact is bad, do I go with the MVB, such as this one? What exactly is the difference between the compacts and the MVB?

Again, I am not "arguing" with anyone, but as you can see this is a very confusing topic, between what the pet store sold me, what the vet told me, what is said in online articles, and opinions in forums. All the while our tort is going without any UVB at the moment until we straighten this out, so its pretty disconcerting :(

Thanks for your time! :)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Pet store employees are liars. I have really only met one or two people in all my pet store going years that have actually known their stuff. Next time you get advice from one of them, ask them where they got it. Was it from experience? Or are they just saying it to sell you another product?

Anywho. BACK on topic. You can see in that thread that I told Sammi to:

Ditch the hood light, and get a mercury vapor bulb, that's my thought.

You can get a 10" clamp lamp for 8$ from your local hardware store, and most places online have Trex or Powersun MVB (combo heat and uvb output) for around 30-50$. I use Trex with my torts. I love them.

I would advise the same for you. You need a clamp lamp with a ceramic socket that's rated fir 150W at least. I have not used Solar Glo bulbs, so I will not reccomend them. But I have had great results with Trex bulbs (I am using three presently) and also with PowerSun bulbs recently.

You will also need a stand, to hold your lamp. If a mercury vapor bulb is not completely horizontal it drastically reduces the life of the bulb. I buy all my supplies from either here: Reptile Depot Bulbs

or here:Pet Mountain's MVB bulbs

If I had to chose a favorite bulb, I would go with Trex. I use the 100W.

Sometimes Reptile Depot has coupons too---like 10% off your entire order. If you want to go with their company, I will see if I can dig up a link. Another plus with them is that they only charge 11$ flat rate for shipping any amount of supplies. With Petmountain, you pay more as your order racks up.

Here's the lamp stand I use: Small Lamp Stand

I have the small and large sizes, but I like the small ones better. They give just as much space for adjustment as the larger stands IMO.

Remember---10 inch dome. Anything smaller and your bulb will stick out.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Pet store employees are liars. I have really only met one or two people in all my pet store going years that have actually known their stuff. Next time you get advice from one of them, ask them where they got it. Was it from experience? Or are they just saying it to sell you another product?

Anywho. BACK on topic. You can see in that thread that I told Sammi to:

Ditch the hood light, and get a mercury vapor bulb, that's my thought.

You can get a 10" clamp lamp for 8$ from your local hardware store, and most places online have Trex or Powersun MVB (combo heat and uvb output) for around 30-50$. I use Trex with my torts. I love them.

I would advise the same for you. You need a clamp lamp with a ceramic socket that's rated fir 150W at least. I have not used Solar Glo bulbs, so I will not reccomend them. But I have had great results with Trex bulbs (I am using three presently) and also with PowerSun bulbs recently.

You will also need a stand, to hold your lamp. If a mercury vapor bulb is not completely horizontal it drastically reduces the life of the bulb. I buy all my supplies from either here: Reptile Depot Bulbs

or here:Pet Mountain's MVB bulbs

If I had to chose a favorite bulb, I would go with Trex. I use the 100W.

Sometimes Reptile Depot has coupons too---like 10% off your entire order. If you want to go with their company, I will see if I can dig up a link. Another plus with them is that they only charge 11$ flat rate for shipping any amount of supplies. With Petmountain, you pay more as your order racks up.

Here's the lamp stand I use: Small Lamp Stand

I have the small and large sizes, but I like the small ones better. They give just as much space for adjustment as the larger stands IMO.

Remember---10 inch dome. Anything smaller and your bulb will stick out.

Thanks! I'll print this out and look it over some more, as well as check out those links.

I think the pet store just has an info sheet for Russian Tortoises, and they use that to sell their products. The individual employees are probably told to study those sheets, and don't know any different, which is a real shame.

Do you by chance have a photo of your set-up so I can see how you have it all rigged?

So final advice for our russian seems to be: Ditch the compact, ditch the UVA bulb that we were also sold, replace both with the type of MVB bulb you linked to. Also get a lamp stand to clamp the dome onto so it is horizontal. Use a 10" dome with a heat-resistant base. Does that sound about right?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
MISCtort009.jpg

MISCtort003.jpg

anouksenclosure003.jpg

newenclosureanouk006.jpg

There, those are some various setup pictures. I got the silver lamps at my local Menards store for 8$ a pop.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I like to be able to reach into my enclosures too. So I had my husband make lids for me from 1" x 1" pine, the width of the enclosure and just long enough for my light fixtures to sit on. He screwed the corners together and stapled wire with 1/2" holes on the top so the UVB wasn't filtered like regular screen tops.

I agree with others who are saying that you should verify anything a pet store tells you. They are trained to sell their products, not to teach husbandry.

I also agree that the best light is the MVB, but the ReptiSun 10 long fluorescent is next best. They are about $20 at www.PetMountain.com

It is very important that you get either a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe ($12 at Walmart) to monitor temps of your enclosure.
Good luck
Patsy

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Meg and others, thank you so much for your replies!
I am very frustrated that the pet store (are we allowed to name names here?) sold me such junk - the UVA bulb only, the substrate, the food suplements, the diet list on their "info sheet"...
i feel like we've harmed our little guy for the three or 4 weeks we've had him, and only now are we getting this straightened out...

i really appreciate all of your help and info.

Maybe I can ask about these other items real quick while they're in my head:

Substrate: What do you use in those pics? they sold us a wood-based substrate, like little wood chips. He loves to burrow in them, but I noticed when you get to the bottom of the bag, its very dusty and fine, and that can't be good for his breathing... I've heard of shredded newspaper, how is that?

Housing: We bought a glass terrarium, 40gal. I see you have some plastic bins that are probably WAY cheaper and easier to clean (lighter to carry). Are there any pros/cons to the glass terrarium as far as lighting and heat goes? Anything noteworthy?

Plants: Are those real or fake plants in your housing?

Food supplements: They sold us a brand of tortoise food pellets. good or no good? Currently he eats lettuce (romaine and red leaf), collard greens, and sometimes kale. We use a calcium dust. We are ignoring the pet store's diet list which contained fruits, tomatoes, peppers, etc. and are trying to stick to dark leafy greens.

Thank you all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Darthsmozers:

I would like to put you mind at ease and let you know that you are NOT asking too many questions! Since you joined the forum to learn, we expect you to ask. One day down the road, YOU will be the one answering those questions, so keep learning! We expect it of you!!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.