Red Infrared Heat Lamp light 75,100,150,200,250 watt?

wasan1739

i about to buy a heat light for my tortoise because i keep them outdoor at night. They are the same type of bulb but i can choose between 75,100,150, and 250 watt. The bulb with higher wattage seem to be more expensive then to lower watt one. My combo deepdome can handle 300 watt of electricity. should i get the bulb with 100 watt or 150 watt. why? and what extra do i gain if i chooose high watt bulb over low watt bulb. This is the link of the product i am buying http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255OUE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Please DO NOT buy a red lamp of any type.

Torts need complete darkness at night. A Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) is the best way of providing heat at night. The size you need depends on your enclosure size and the ambient temperature. In any case, you should also buy a thermostat for the CHE so that you can control the heat at night. You don't want it too hot.

Coloured lamps are not recommended for use with tortoises even in the day. They have very good colour vision, but not so much common sense. Thir love of sweet coloured food leads to them trying to eat enclosure decor coloured by the lamp... which isn't good for them.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Please DO NOT buy a red lamp of any type.

Torts need complete darkness at night. A Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) is the best way of providing heat at night.
Coloured lamps are not recommended for use with tortoises even in the day. They have very good colour vision, but not so much common sense. Thir love of sweet coloured food leads to them trying to eat enclosure decor coloured by the lamp... which isn't good for them.

Great answer. Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree here 100%!

wasan1739

thx u all very much! now i know which product i suppose to get for my pet ^_^

wasan1739

dam i feel bad, i have left my 6 month sulcata outdoor encloser for 3 weeks now since i got them. temperature can drop below 70-60 here in California during night and 75-85 during day. Now i have something to warm them up during cold night and morning hopefully !