light/heat help

rafsmum

Location (City and/or State)
wirral uk
Now THAT is rude, and I don't have time to baby self centered newbies
you dont need to. Christina is giving me helpful ádvice, not having a go. I said in the post it was ceramic and you SHOUTED at me, after asking "what is there you need to know" Now i am "self centred" hardly. i could've just continued as he was.
No need at all. Have a good night

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I have no idea of "that Swell place". Just order from Amazon using this link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KVTSC67/?tag=

By looking at other sites you are making a lot of extra work for yourself. I'm linking good products with excellent customer ratings. Please use my links so you can be sure you are getting the proper equipment. I'm even linking you to the UK Amazon.

Swell is probably the best online reptile retailer in the UK, they are also a uk business. Generally I prefer to support them rather than amazon, all other things being equal of course (Swell is often cheaper). I often link UK members to their page. I think the OP might have been confused about who reccomended them though.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Swell is probably the best online reptile retailer in the UK, they are also a uk business. Generally I prefer to support them rather than amazon, all other things being equal of course (Swell is often cheaper). I often link UK members to their page. I think the OP might have been confused about who reccomended them though.

Yes, the OP, unsurprisingly, is having difficulty who is whom. But it almost got funny when she's posting about the customer ratings being so horrible that she won't buy the product. So I look at the link I had given her and there is 96% approval of the product! Yet she keeps berating it. Finally I realized she was not looking at the link I sent her. She's off exploring Swell! Anyway, I think we've got it all straight now. :D

rafsmum

wirral uk
Yes, the OP, unsurprisingly, is having difficulty who is whom. But it almost got funny when she's posting about the customer ratings being so horrible that she won't buy the product. So I look at the link I had given her and there is 96% approval of the product! Yet she keeps berating it. Finally I realized she was not looking at the link I sent her. She's off exploring Swell! Anyway, I think we've got it all straight now. :D
Hi KAREN. oops sorry not shouting!
very surprisngly (lol!) I actually didnt get your link confused. I think youre looking at ratings. I am talkign about reviews. This is the item you gave me the link for. This is the first review showing.
The swell one had very good reviews!
This is the one you showed me 1612265618926.png
This is why i was concerned. i don't want to use anythign that isn't electrically safe
i just had a look at raf's bulb before i switched it on, and although it is ceramic and i think it would do, it says max 80w so isn't going to be sufficient for 100w bulbs :(

But yes I got confused about the poster of the bark! I am 57 yrs old, knackered most of the time and usually come on here at night when it is late so my brain is half dead anyway! haha

Again, thanks for all the help

rafsmum

wirral uk
I will order that thermometer too. i am just wondering how it works with the CHE?? do i need anythign else to make it work?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales

Yes my thought was, if op cant buy that, they cant buy anything online lol.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hi KAREN. oops sorry not shouting!
very surprisngly (lol!) I actually didnt get your link confused. I think youre looking at ratings. I am talkign about reviews. This is the item you gave me the link for. This is the first review showing.
The swell one had very good reviews!
This is the one you showed me
This is why i was concerned. i don't want to use anythign that isn't electrically safe
i just had a look at raf's bulb before i switched it on, and although it is ceramic and i think it would do, it says max 80w so isn't going to be sufficient for 100w bulbs :(

But yes I got confused about the poster of the bark! I am 57 yrs old, knackered most of the time and usually come on here at night when it is late so my brain is half dead anyway! haha

Again, thanks for all the help

I would be willing to bet there is one factory in south east asia that makes those ceramic lamp holders and all the brands that you can buy them under come from the same factory. If it isnt one, then its only a few.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
did you see the review i copied and pasted???

Dude bulbs blow for lots of reasons, in my experience its usually because they are not used within their technical parameters. To decide a product is dangerous because one dumbass on amazon said it was because they had a bad experience is not reasonable. The reason bulbs usually blow is people using the wrong domes, there is virtually nothing that the lamp holder could do to cause lampst to blow.

rafsmum

wirral uk
Dude bulbs blow for lots of reasons, in my experience its usually because they are not used within their technical parameters. To decide a product is dangerous because one dumbass on amazon said it was because they had a bad experience is not reasonable. The reason bulbs usually blow is people using the wrong domes, there is virtually nothing that the lamp holder could do to cause lampst to blow.
but the fact is, i said there was a review saying dangerous. I wasn't reading the wrong things. She thought I said ratings, whereas i said reviews
1612267732181.png

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
it is ceramic * rolls eyes*
I'm sorry, but with all the printed material and not enuf info I really did not catch where you said cermic, I did yell "NO" at you, but not in rudeness, years ago when I was changing from black light bulbs to CHE's and didn't know much I put a CHE in a plastic socket and of course it melted out in my tort shed. A stand alone tort shed with it's own wiring. It shorted out the wiring and stopped. So the next morning when I went out to feed, OMG! no lights, or heat. There's 2 things that scared me
1) The fear of the shed catching fire
2) There were 2 Sulcata in the shed at the time and the bigger of the 2 ate the melted plastic.. How do I know? He was walking around with an melted piece of plastic hanging out his mouth.
So in defense of myself, I did yell at you. But because I thought I saw a fire hazard, I was more emphatic then rude. I am sorry you misunderstood me and I didn't see why until this am.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I will order that thermometer too. i am just wondering how it works with the CHE?? do i need anythign else to make it work?

The thermostat turns the CHE on only when you need it.
You plug the CHE into the thermostat.
You plug the thermostat into the wall.
You set the thermostat to 27°C.

Anytime the temp in the enclosure drops below 27°, the thermostat will turn on the CHE, which will bring the temp up to just over 27, and then the thermostat will shut it off. It's just like when you use a thermostat to control your furnace at home.

Since you don't use a basking bulb, and the enclosure has no top, the CHE will run a lot. But as soon as it gets warm enough, the CHE will turn off. We don't want any broiled torts!

rafsmum

wirral uk
dunno what maggie fan has said, i switched off her posts thinking it blocked lol
View attachment 317089
The thermostat turns the CHE on only when you need it.
You plug the CHE into the thermostat.
You plug the thermostat into the wall.
You set the thermostat to 27°C.

Anytime the temp in the enclosure drops below 27°, the thermostat will turn on the CHE, which will bring the temp up to just over 27, and then the thermostat will shut it off. It's just like when you use a thermostat to control your furnace at home.

Since you don't use a basking bulb, and the enclosure has no top, the CHE will run a lot. But as soon as it gets warm enough, the CHE will turn off. We don't want any broiled torts!
ah right - gotcha
I dont have a therm in my house. i just set the heting to come in before we go to work nd then at night.
I didn't relise you plugged the CHE into the therm, thts why i ws wondering how it worked!! i get you now! So the che hs aplug to go into the therm nd the therm has aplug AND a socket?
Phew. Its like learning a new subject at school all this!

My wood for the new den is now all cut. I have painted the front to match my hallpaint. (only the outside, it is very low VOC nd will be dry before use)
Now to silicone the edges and let it dry for a week

So the "light" bulb I use will just be n ordinary 40w bulb? can it be low energy? I will have to sort a timer for when we go on holiday

i do worry a bit about levaing everythign switched on whilst away! I normally unplug every socket

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Who is going to be feeding and changing your torts water while you are away? Who will be around to check it hasn’t gotten stuck in its back? It sounds like you are planning on leaving the animal unattended for days in a row? If so, that is not an acceptable plan.

rafsmum

wirral uk
You have a tortoise now...those days are gone.

While you are away, isn't his previous owner going to look in on him? Am I remembering that correctly?
no i was going to take him to his previous owner, in his original little house. I m worried about him being stuck in that for a week nd them mybe not doing ll the things I will hve changed. Do you think it will matter for a week? We will probbaly take him with us in it when we go away weekends, s I'd hve thought for 2 dys it would not matter much and we would take him outside in the day for an explore. I take it he would be ok with a 1 hr drive each wy?

rafsmum

wirral uk
by the way, having a tort won't stop the house going on fire . Even if someone WAS looking in! Thats why i dont like leaving things plugged in. Plus if one breaks n its too hot/cold ........

rafsmum

wirral uk
Who is going to be feeding and changing your torts water while you are away? Who will be around to check it hasn’t gotten stuck in its back? It sounds like you are planning on leaving the animal unattended for days in a row? If so, that is not an acceptable plan.
My friend round the corner has said she will look in on him every other day and change water. I m rather stuck tbh. I will tke him with me in this country but cnanot abrod. I did not realise his housing wsnt right when i took him on the understnding his previous owner would hve him when we r away
why do you only reply to berate me, rather thn nswer things i need nswers to?

rafsmum

wirral uk
PS i hve to press my A button 7 times for it to work so the letter is missing in mny words. Tking me too long to type