light/heat help

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
christina, does he look like he is pyramiding? as i said he has had no humidity in his 7 years

Yes, he has significant pyramiding. What is there will never go away. But hopefully, with a closed chamber and some extra effort from you, the pyramiding can be stopped. Then new growth will be smooth.

rafsmum

wirral uk
This is what you want for your tortoise's CHE's. I would get 2 100 watt bulbs. They don't burn out and won't break easily, so no cage is needed. You mount them by hanging them from the horizontal bar at the top of the greenhouse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DKJ2F33/?tag=

They must go into a ceramic socket. I would get 2 of these. Remove the bracket, and just hang it from the bar. It would go a little higher than the top of your enclosure. You would adjust it as needed to get the proper temp below it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KVTSC67/?tag=

You need a thermostat to control the CHE's so they don't make it too hot in the enclosure. Both get plugged into the same thermostat. This one would work nicely...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018K82UQU/?tag=

The cloche will not work. Only covering part of the enclosure is useless. It is the same as removing half of your roof and trying to heat your house.

This is the type of greenhouse you want to get.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076HJH7ZB/?tag=

or this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DLSD1RH/?tag=

This one isn't clear, but would work just fine. They come in different sizes, so check before ordering.

The LED light you ask about is an ordinary household bulb, that screws into an ordinary light socket. It is so you can see your tortoise, and so he gets a day/night cycle of 12 hours on/12 hours off. Redfoot like dim lighting, so I would go with a 40 watt on one end of the enclosure. Leave it dark on the other end.

Your other option is a ordinary fluorescent tube light, like you would put above your sink in the kitchen. This fixture could also be hung from the bar. If you used one of these, get one that is in the 5000-6500 "K" color range. They look better than ones with a lower value.

I hope this has helped to lower your confusion.

Thanks for the detail
I saw both those CHE things. the bulbs arent a problem, but read the reviews for the holder. i can't buy that. And all the others on there have similar reviews
got you about the lamp. thats no problem
I m concerned about suddenly giving him high humidity when he hs had none. As an ex vet nurse, although we didnt treat torts, i do know that extreme change is not good for any animal
Neither of those greenhouses would fit over the top under my stairs I am afraid

rafsmum

wirral uk
Yes, he has significant pyramiding. What is there will never go away. But hopefully, with a closed chamber and some extra effort from you, the pyramiding can be stopped. Then new growth will be smooth.
Aw. a tort owner in the uk told me he looked really well and had been well looked after :(

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
where can you buy bulk bags of orchid bark. it looks extortionate!

This is about the best price you can get, not sure how long the sale is. The seller is good for reptile supplies. I reccomend using as deep a substrate as you have space for, its more forgiving in terms of moisture management.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the detail
I saw both those CHE things. the bulbs arent a problem, but read the reviews for the holder. i can't buy that. And all the others on there have similar reviews
got you about the lamp. thats no problem
I m concerned about suddenly giving him high humidity when he hs had none. As an ex vet nurse, although we didnt treat torts, i do know that extreme change is not good for any animal
Neither of those greenhouses would fit over the top under my stairs I am afraid

I'm not understanding about the reviews. The holder I linked got 96% 4 and 5 star ratings. There was only one 3 star rating. I think that's pretty good!

Screenshot_20210201-023103_Samsung Internet.jpg

Don't worry about some kind of shock increasing the humidity. That's not a change that would affect him negatively at all. If anything, he will breathe a huge sigh of relief and say "thank goodness, it's about time!"

After all, redfoot come from the tropical rain forests of South America. Extremely high humidity is their natural environment.

If you can't use a greenhouse, you could build something like this.

IMG_1511635956.495114.jpg

You can use wood, or better yet, use PVC piping and connectors. Just make sure to use thick enough PVC to support the weight of the lights and CHE's.

Then you put a clear shower curtain liner over the whole thing.

If you can't fit this under the stairs, maybe you need to consider a better location for his enclosure. Just a thought...

rafsmum

wirral uk
I'm not understanding about the reviews. The holder I linked got 96% 4 and 5 star ratings. There was only one 3 star rating. I think that's pretty good!

View attachment 316943

Don't worry about some kind of shock increasing the humidity. That's not a change that would affect him negatively at all. If anything, he will breathe a huge sigh of relief and say "thank goodness, it's about time!"

After all, redfoot come from the tropical rain forests of South America. Extremely high humidity is their natural environment.

If you can't use a greenhouse, you could build something like this.

View attachment 316944

You can use wood, or better yet, use PVC piping and connectors. Just make sure to use thick enough PVC to support the weight of the lights and CHE's.

Then you put a clear shower curtain liner over the whole thing.

If you can't fit this under the stairs, maybe you need to consider a better location for his enclosure. Just a thought...
Hi i have literally nowhere else anything bigger than what he has can go. I will get the cloches and use one, then improvise with the other I think!.

I just thought.. checked my basking lamp holder and it says something like SOAM E27. I assume that would be ok to use for the CHE bulbs? then i could just order them?

The reviews on those holders were all suss. The very first one on that item said "dangerous" and said it had blown 2 bulbs straight away and as we go away a lot i want somethign i can rely on. I am hoping my existing lamp holder will do and then i can just add an led lamp holder. I have a few old lamps. I will just smash one up and keep the lamp fitting cord. so will that be ok for the che? do i need to remove the stainless steel lamp piece ?
How high should it be from the ground?
Thanks so much for all your help. I do appreciate it
The other thing that worries me, I took him on condition that his old owner would have him when we go away, which when there is no covid is often. Will he be ok in his existing small enclosure for a week t time? When we go away for a weekend i was going to take him with us but if feel if i fed him the day we go and left heat on a thermostat and light on a timer he'd probably be best left at home, but i couldn't do that for a week
I've just ordered him a new extra large water pool.
I will order the che bulbs when i hear that the holder will be ok :)
Thanks again

rafsmum

wirral uk
that swell place also have this, but you have to pay postage :)
I can get 5o litres for little less than 5 bags of that plus free postage.
As I said though i have a load of coir to use as someone on here advised me to use that so i bought a massive brick!
It does seem to say in many places tht coco coir is good. maybe i could use thta on the bottom and the orchid bArk on top?

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have no idea of "that Swell place". Just order from Amazon using this link.

By looking at other sites you are making a lot of extra work for yourself. I'm linking good products with excellent customer ratings. Please use my links so you can be sure you are getting the proper equipment. I'm even linking you to the UK Amazon.

I'm also not sure what you are going to order to make it a closed chamber. Again, I've given you several options that you say won't work. All I can tell you is that the entire enclosure must be completely covered for success. Any open place totally destroys the effectiveness of a closed chamber.

Is there a way you could attach a bar of PVC to the underneath of the stairs themselves? If you will post a good picture of the enclosure where it is...show the stairs and enclosure together. Then maybe we can come up with a plan.

If we do this one step at a time, completing one issue at a time, we'll get it done. Right now, let's concentrate on closing the top and CHE's.

The link for the ceramic holders is at the top of this post. Here is the link for the CHE's themselves...

And here is the link for the thermostat...

rafsmum

wirral uk
I have no idea of "that Swell place". Just order from Amazon using this link.

By looking at other sites you are making a lot of extra work for yourself. I'm linking good products with excellent customer ratings. Please use my links so you can be sure you are getting the proper equipment. I'm even linking you to the UK Amazon.

I'm also not sure what you are going to order to make it a closed chamber. Again, I've given you several options that you say won't work. All I can tell you is that the entire enclosure must be completely covered for success. Any open place totally destroys the effectiveness of a closed chamber.

Is there a way you could attach a bar of PVC to the underneath of the stairs themselves? If you will post a good picture of the enclosure where it is...show the stairs and enclosure together. Then maybe we can come up with a plan.

If we do this one step at a time, completing one issue at a time, we'll get it done. Right now, let's concentrate on closing the top and CHE's.

The link for the ceramic holders is at the top of this post. Here is the link for the CHE's themselves...

And here is the link for the thermostat...

the swell thing is website with the bark you posted
i had already looked for the holder on there. It is half the price of the amazon one and from a reputable firm, not a chinese firm on amazon

yes i will order those CHes but am I ok to use the ceramic E27 bulb holder to fit them to that is currently installed as a basking lamp? i am not ordering one that has a review saying dangerous!!

i am going to order a pack of 2 cloches, both are larger than i need, i am sure i can improvise with them

so can i use the fitting that currently has the basking bulb in?
it says E27, which is what the che bulbs are

i always look around btw as you can get the same thing for half the price when you look around lol
but in this instance i was looking for good reviews
However, as i saidi probably dont need to buy a holder as i have one it seems, just need to double check

rafsmum

wirral uk
i am going to see if we have nythign to mke our own cover with first thought

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
the swell thing is website with the bark you posted
i had already looked for the holder on there. It is half the price of the amazon one and from a reputable firm, not a chinese firm on amazon

yes i will order those CHes but am I ok to use the ceramic E27 bulb holder to fit them to that is currently installed as a basking lamp? i am not ordering one that has a review saying dangerous!!

i am going to order a pack of 2 cloches, both are larger than i need, i am sure i can improvise with them

so can i use the fitting that currently has the basking bulb in?
it says E27, which is what the che bulbs are

i always look around btw as you can get the same thing for half the price when you look around lol
but in this instance i was looking for good reviews
However, as i saidi probably dont need to buy a holder as i have one it seems, just need to double check

If it is a ceramic socket of the correct size, you can use it. If the holder is a dome type that is only 5.5 inches in diameter, it will get extremely hot, and will not warm the area as well as one that's 10 inches. A picture would sure be helpful. If you get 2 CHE's, you will need another ceramic holder. You cannot put 2 CHE's into a double-dome holder.

BTW, I did not post the orchid bark link.

rafsmum

wirral uk
ah apologies re the orchid bark. it has been a long day!
i am not going to use 2 ches. the link you gave me has 2 i think so will keep one as a spare I will get a pic of the lamp tomorrow, but i think i have a pic of the table with the lamp on atm I will have a look. Would i take the silv er bit off and just keep the ceramic bit or can i leave it on
again, i appreciate all the advice

You can just about see it on here
obvs it is midnight here so am not taking pics now which may alarm him!

Attachments

• raf8.jpg
    raf8.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 18
  • raf15.jpg
    raf15.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 18

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have about pyramiding. he has never had humidity and i dont think his diet hs been correct either nd there is no sign of it yet!

Ive already read it, but it doesn't really fully explain what I need to know. I read that the first week I got him.
So??? What's not there that you need to know?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi i have literally nowhere else anything bigger than what he has can go. I will get the cloches and use one, then improvise with the other I think!.

I just thought.. checked my basking lamp holder and it says something like SOAM E27. I assume that would be ok to use for the CHE bulbs? then i could just order them?

The reviews on those holders were all suss. The very first one on that item said "dangerous" and said it had blown 2 bulbs straight away and as we go away a lot i want somethign i can rely on. I am hoping my existing lamp holder will do and then i can just add an led lamp holder. I have a few old lamps. I will just smash one up and keep the lamp fitting cord. so will that be ok for the che? do i need to remove the stainless steel lamp piece ?
How high should it be from the ground?
Thanks so much for all your help. I do appreciate it
The other thing that worries me, I took him on condition that his old owner would have him when we go away, which when there is no covid is often. Will he be ok in his existing small enclosure for a week t time? When we go away for a weekend i was going to take him with us but if feel if i fed him the day we go and left heat on a thermostat and light on a timer he'd probably be best left at home, but i couldn't do that for a week
I've just ordered him a new extra large water pool.
I will order the che bulbs when i hear that the holder will be ok :)
Thanks again
NO!!!! The CHE gets too hot for a plastic socket, it absolutely needs a ceramic socket.

rafsmum

wirral uk
So??? What's not there that you need to know?
lots of things. When you know it, you understand it all. no need for rudeness. I have only just got this tort and discovered there is far more to keeping him that i was told. I am trying to understand as much as i can. just saying you need a che meant nothing to me, but christina has kindly explained it and i am starting to understand more. Surely that is what forums like this are for??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
lots of things. When you know it, you understand it all. no need for rudeness. I have only just got this tort and discovered there is far more to keeping him that i was told. I am trying to understand as much as i can. just saying you need a che meant nothing to me, but christina has kindly explained it and i am starting to understand more. Surely that is what forums like this are for??
I was not being rude in the least. I was asking what you needed to know, don't complain about something if you haven't asked.