light/heat help

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I understand how the old one will fit into the new one. You don't need to move anything for the pic. Just stand back a bit and take a photo of the left side of the new enclosure. Exactly like the ones of the right side...do it again on the left.

rafsmum

wirral uk
I understand how the old one will fit into the new one. You don't need to move anything for the pic. Just stand back a bit and take a photo of the left side of the new enclosure. Exactly like the ones of the right side...do it again on the left.
but you can see all thats there i think
I will get my dd to tke one from the otherv wy but i donbt think there is anythign else to see tht isnt on those pics She is t work so wont be in until 6pm xx

rafsmum

wirral uk
see on tht, you cn see where the unit ends, which is where it will join to the old one. Thts just bits of wood still in there on top of it

rafsmum

wirral uk
That's great! Now stand at the corner and take one looking to the left into the enclosure. I want to see that area.
ok the 2 pieces of wood re just there so when i did his existing house, it will sit level s some of it will go onto the floor i have made. It will only be about an 8mm step and with substrate down wont be noticeable
by the way his house is 90cm long, but the white piece of wood is level with my bnnister so tht prt of the enclosure is bout 75cm. (So the enclosure will be 90 wide where his house ( for 45cm) nd the rest will be 75cm if you get my drift
Very cold here now so ive ctully hubg the che over stepldder so its hnging over his hide, to wram it up nd it seems to hve worked s it sid 80 degrees when i went bck to check
just hd n emil to sy the forest thing is on its wy
now need to enclose it s it will be redy for him by the w/e i reckon. the silicone seems dry.
I relly do pprecite ll this help. I just didnt relise how much ws involved nd there re so many conflicting things
By the wy, do his eyes look ok, guy on the redfoot FB pge sid they looked funny nd it could indicte problem. I couldnt sleep lst night for worrying . I took these fter his bth but theyre abit blurry

Attachments

• enc6.jpg
    enc6.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 13
  • enc5.jpg
    enc5.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 14
  • rfeye3.jpg
    rfeye3.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 14
  • rf eye.jpg
    rf eye.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 14
  • rfeye2.jpg
    rfeye2.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 13

rafsmum

wirral uk
That's great! Now stand at the corner and take one looking to the left into the enclosure. I want to see that area.
Hi karen
Just wondering if this would be any good. Id have to bend the wires down the bottom end but the size is perfect as i could maybe box in 20cm of the right hand end with wood, which would make it easier gettign it in anyway. What do you think? Id take the bottom out and sit it on top. theyre in stock in my B&Q

rafsmum

wirral uk

rafsmum

wirral uk
or could i somehow box in the back and put a little roof on for the lamps, then put a sloping plastic cover on the front??? Wish my hubby was handy but he couldnt even put one of those brackets on!!!! lol

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
or could i somehow box in the back and put a little roof on for the lamps, then put a sloping plastic cover on the front??? Wish my hubby was handy but he couldnt even put one of those brackets on!!!! lol

I don't see anything wrong with his eyes. The skin color around them is very dark, so it's a bit difficult to see the eye itself. As long as they look clear and no mucus, and don't bother him in some way, I think they're fine.

The covers you've been looking at only have 1 problem, which you already mentioned. The ones folks use here have a fairly rigid bar that runs the length of the cover at the apex of the top. This bar is what they hang the lights from.

How about this? On the back of the enclosure, screw a vertical post about 36 in high. Then screw another post to the vertical one. This would be a horizontal piece that would extend toward you, and you would hang your CHE or lights from it. This sounds so complex, and it's not. Let me find something visual...OK, here's a picture. His is fancy...it could be made more simply. You would need 2...one for the CHE and a LED light, and 1 for the other end if you want another LED light. Then your cover would go over the whole thing, posts and all. It also wouldn't have to be this high. The part that holds the lights should be about 2/3 of a meter above the substrate.

20210211_003341.jpg

rafsmum

wirral uk
Thats a great idea, and one i had thought of previously. My concern is constructing it correctly. I am a terrible worrier and can see it coming away and falling onto Raf.
I did actually get a load of pieces of wood from a friend who cut the wood to shape for me so I will certainly have a look
Would they need to be in a specific place or does it not matter?
The other thing is, my pieces of wood are only siliconed together at the bottom. I didnt want to put metal hinges as tort level incase he injured himnself, so not sure the structure would hold it to be honest.
If I can work somethign out like that will those cloches be ok?

Thanks re his eyes. i did thjink it may be because of his "mask" that his eyes looked strange. i posted these closer pics to him last night and he said as much himself. I was worried sick!!!!
Cheers again, off for a think!
My forest set up is coming today. :)

rafsmum

wirral uk
Ok so we re going to try & mke something like th a t. we only h ave a small area to work with at the front.
My forest thing is coming tomorrow. ive ordered a hygrometer coming Mon. Today went to
homebse on my wy home from work nd bought bg of orgnic topsoil to mix with his coc coir & found 22cm round terrccta plant holder which he studied & then got into cos i put it in for him.
Just ordered these s i m hoping i cn flex the wires to accomodte the weird shpe & there is enough to join bits up & should be some left forthe grden enclosure
So, just got to get the light holders sorted & bobs our uncle

Thx so much for ll the help

rafsmum

wirral uk
ctully just relised you sid 36" high There is not enough room for tht. Whts the minimum height theyd need to be from the substrte

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
ctully just relised you sid 36" high There is not enough room for tht. Whts the minimum height theyd need to be from the substrte

I said 2/3 of a meter, which is about 24". You can get by with 16-18". You just may need to go with a lower wattage CHE if it's too hot. I think it will be OK.

The only problem with the cloche is that the ends are open. Lots of humidity will escape out and go right onto your wallpaper, possibly making it wet.

Here's one with both ends closed. Will it work?

How many inches vertical do you have to work with?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I know im muted by OP but if this going under the stairs, why not just enclose the whole space, put a plastic sheet or even a wood or perspex panel cut to fit the triangle opening?

rafsmum

wirral uk
I said 2/3 of a meter, which is about 24". You can get by with 16-18". You just may need to go with a lower wattage CHE if it's too hot. I think it will be OK.

The only problem with the cloche is that the ends are open. Lots of humidity will escape out and go right onto your wallpaper, possibly making it wet.

Hi karen This is where i read 36 inches
"

How about this? On the back of the enclosure, screw a vertical post about 36 in high. Then screw another post to the vertical one.

This would be a horizontal piece that would extend toward you, and you would hang your CHE or lights from it. This sounds so complex, and it's not. Let me find something visual...OK, here's a picture. His is fancy...it could be made more simply. You would need 2...one for the CHE and a LED light, and 1 for the other end if you want another LED light. Then your cover would go over the whole thing, posts and all. It also wouldn't have to be this high. The part that holds the lights should be about 2/3 of a meter above the substrate.

The cloche is only about 42cm high but then the pen is another so mnay centimetres,
Ive only just bought 2 x 100 CHEs as i was advised, so dont want to have to fork out more for others!!!! Maybe i should have waited
The cloches i was going to join together somehow to keep them joined. (I am quite handy like that and thats not somethign that i could get wrong and harm him so I will have a go)

Bit bothered about the size of this arcadia thing too tbh :/ I think maybe i should have waited as not sure how i will get it in.
Going to have a think over the weekend. Could i not point the che outwards instead of down maybe?
By the way, does it matter where theyre both placed? can they be next to ech other s i m little pushed for spce with the sloping roof.

rafsmum

wirral uk

Hi karen
Sorry to be bothering you agian
Been having thoughts, and i may have founda way to accomodate the CHE. But i need to check couple of things
So, if you remember how I m adding his existing pen, sideways in, which means his hide will be left hand front side. What if I hang the che above his existing enclusure which is at the high end of the recess? does it matter if it is near his hide?will it make him too hot?
The other question is, how high off the substrte does the uvb lamp need to be? That arrived today
I m not going to put it all in until the cloches come but i can play around and see where the best place is, but I M GOING TO aDD 2 WOODEN oops sorry strips cross the top of the sides, and see if I can build up post to place these lights from that. i think adding them from the edge will be problem due to size. i cannot dd them to the side of his existing home because of the hide being at the side with lift up lid

So will the che be ok over his existing home near the hide, and what would the minimum height be/
for 100w bulb
nd whats the min height for the arcdia forest uvb?

Plus, am I ok to add clean pebbles round his water bowl nd food bowl to help prevent coco coir nd soil getting in them? is that safe?

Thank you :)
I m looking forward to seeing him in there