light/heat help

rafsmum

Location (City and/or State)
wirral uk
I'm not sure she will be able to use a 34 inch. I'll ask her how big the new enclosure is.

Thanks so much for finding this!
ok following on from my post of hours go, when he was out having his bath/eating his rocket /mango & strawberry/having a wander. I unscrewed the bulb. I know i said previously its a a a ceramic fitting E27. This is what it said.
( I didn't think it would be written on the bulb; should've looked before)
arcdadia D3 UV
SMa8 OE27
80W 230-240v Bsking Lmp
Has UVa/UVB above
sorry a has packed in again so i am copying & pasting a in lol
bit concerned tht the fitting sys mx 75watt & the bulb is 80watt

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi no it isnt an led. I hve put a couple of times it is a special reptile bulb. she said it was to give him sunlight as she said if i put him outside in the sun in summer, he wouldnt need it then. However i am not sure exactly what it is!! I did post further back what it says on the ceramic holder.
its 75watt but i am unsure what the exact thing is. I did ask her, as i said previously and she said to ask at the pet shop!

The komodo he loves and i am thinking it may be a protein as she said to feed it once a week but never gave him protein. I have been giving him some mushroom and boiled egg weekly and he loves that too! the komodo is tortoise diet complete holistic & balanced nutrition. dandelion flav. i have just noticed tho it says in small letters suitable for European & Russian torts hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmm lol. I doubt theyd cause harm though, yeah? the writing is too small for the rest :O I will see if i cn google the ingredients

My heater lead and bulbs came today. Now i have to try and put them somewhere. Then when the silicone is dry he can move downstairs. It hardly smelled anyway tbh, i I used one that seemed "safer IMO lol) but i would always leave a week anyway. Im quite proud of what i have designed! Now i need something to use as a bigger water bowl and also something to retain the humidity, and thats the biggest struggle due to the shape! My t'stat should be here soon too.

it will be about 140cm long and 90cm wide but how on earth would i get something like that long bulb in? Its a sloping roof over it. This is why I am unsure what to do about a cover. But will his existing lamp/bulb not do?

Thanks to you all again for your advice. I am slowly getting there! And thanks to Zoe also, very kind to spend your time helping me.

Found the tort diet on amazon
If i feed him protein once a week does he still need something like this?https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FXLXGX5/?tag=

The "special" bulb that you have is a type of UVB bulb, probably incorporated into a basking spot bulb, but could also be just UVB.

The problem is that those UVB bulbs 1st: do not give out proper amounts of UVB, depending on exactly which bulb it is they damage baby tort's eyes, and if part of a spot basking bulb, they dry out the tort's shell and can burn it. Some lights also contribute to pyramiding. They are just not a good product for torts.

The one that Zoe found for you in post #92 is made like a fluorescent tube. These lights are very high quality, and the best for torts. This first time you need the fixture and the bulb, so kind of expensive. But after this first time, you will only have to replace the bulb. In the summer when he lives outside, you will not need the UVB indoors. You will only use it during the winter.

The length you posted for the new enclosure is 55 in. The light is 34 in, so will fit just fine. If you will post some pictures of the enclosure, I'm certain we can help you figure how to mount it. It may be possible to install it on the underside of the top.

I've seen pics of the Komodo food before. I've never used it, but I do use a different kind. You can make 1 meal a week from only the Komodo, or you can put 1 or 2 pellets in with his dinner a few times a week. It cannot be the only food he eats, but as a supplement it would be good for him.

As for the European and Russian torts...redfoot come from the tropical rainforests of South America; my Burmese Star comes from Burma, which is now called Myanmar. Torts are from many regions of the world, and each species has little differences in their care or diet or both.

The CHE can be hung from above the enclosure, or from the lid. Don't forget the ceramic socket. And wait til you get the thermostat.

For a water bowl the best thing to use is a terra cotta flower pot saucer. They come in all sizes, and they're easy and safe for torts to climb in and out of. They're cheap, too! :D

I just found a tube kit that is only 22 in long, but they only have 1 of them! Could you order this right away?

If it's gone, let me know. I'll find the 34 in.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
ok following on from my post of hours go, when he was out having his bath/eating his rocket /mango & strawberry/having a wander. I unscrewed the bulb. I know i said previously its a a a ceramic fitting E27. This is what it said.
( I didn't think it would be written on the bulb; should've looked before)
arcdadia D3 UV
SMa8 OE27
80W 230-240v Bsking Lmp
Has UVa/UVB above
sorry a has packed in again so i am copying & pasting a in lol
bit concerned tht the fitting sys mx 75watt & the bulb is 80watt

OK, yes, that bulb is not good. If you can grab the one I linked, that would be great! They're even on sale!

And I agree re' putting 80watts into a 75watt socket. Not a good idea. ?

rafsmum

wirral uk
i cn send for this, but is it definitely wht i need? i dont hve clue where it is going to go. There is no top on my house. i m looking for some sort of plstic sheeting nd trying to work out how to hold it over. I m not ure it will support light like this. if youn remember my first post on this thred ( 6 pges go!!) i asked about mercury vapour lamps which i had read were the best thing for them. 1612911830504.png

rafsmum

wirral uk
oh it has gone! I was just adding some stuff to bring it to £60 to get £5 off and free delivery. It was IN MY BASKET!!
is this the same thing? This is just all so confusing
I thought i ws sorted yesterday too, with being told i only needed n led. LOL

Last edited:

rafsmum

wirral uk
this is same price as IR with free /next day delivery! There are tons of them once i know what to google. easier for me as i am in uk! They wont show in your search!
also on amazon but £63 on there! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084ZYKRML/?tag=

rafsmum

wirral uk
Right i hve bought this one
£5 less than internet reptile s free postge
This is defo right yeh? Tho God knows where it is going to go

rafsmum

wirral uk
Right so i hve the che n holder ( it wont work without the cermic holder btw :/ the stt n the light. been lookign t terrcott things for weeks n cnt find one. would plstic shlklow dish work?
I got my dd to tke some pics of where he is going. its under the stirs. you cn see the extension i hve mde nd then i will ut his existing house sidewys in. so the bck of it is long the left hnd wll, remove the glss front so he cn wlk into the new prt.
cn you see my problem with covering it. i cnt just glss up the front s the stirs would rot
ive been worried bout how cold hes been, he is in our bedroom s it is wrmer thn downstirs but even so, its probbly struggling to rech 70 in his hide. I hve foil round it, but wht i did tonight ws, put the lmp on top of his wooden hide, on TOP OF SMLL METL DISH SO IT ISNT TOUCHING THJE TOP. oops. nd put foil over the top. so it is creting some heta tht will go thru the top of the hide. I just went up nd its between 70 and 80 at the edge so probably warmer further inside, so i feel better about that! We are having a very cold spell for a few days
was just gonna upload the pics but my dd has gone to bed n not sent them!

rafsmum

wirral uk
Sorry Karen I only just saw this. I got mine from Swell Reptiles, as far as I know there isn't many places online that seem to stock the Arcadia units here but I'll have a dig around. Northampton Reptile Centre is another place I order from but they don't sell Arcadia, they have a brand called Reptile Systems which I have no experience with.
Hi Zoe Provided i have it right, i found tons of them, some on ebay, essex reptiles ( where i ordered from and they were free postage! £49) and others, amazon too but £62 there xx

rafsmum

wirral uk
ah these pics have just come through!
Ok so you can see on the left side is where his present home will go sideways in, so i can remove the glass front and he can then have all the space in front
I made this with an old desk/tv unit. measured the wood and got my mate to cut it. attached pieces round the edge with metal corner plates, siliconed the joints and i have painted the front piece to match in with my bannister ( low odour/low VOC water based eggshell) on the outside only as you can see. I will put a plastic sheet down on the bottom before i put substrate in too
My A button is like a few people I know. Only works when it feels like it!!

Attachments

• enc1.jpg
    enc1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 13
  • enc2.jpg
    enc2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 13
  • enc3.jpg
    enc3.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 14
  • enc4.jpg
    enc4.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 14

Zoeclare

Uk
Hi Zoe Provided i have it right, i found tons of them, some on ebay, essex reptiles ( where i ordered from and they were free postage! £49) and others, amazon too but £62 there xx
Ahh, I don't use ebay so didn't look there! Thats great you ordered it from Essex reptiles, I love to support local businesses, there used to be a little reptile shop in my town but it closed because of lack of trade ?

Zoeclare

Uk
ah these pics have just come through!
Ok so you can see on the left side is where his present home will go sideways in, so i can remove the glass front and he can then have all the space in front
I made this with an old desk/tv unit. measured the wood and got my mate to cut it. attached pieces round the edge with metal corner plates, siliconed the joints and i have painted the front piece to match in with my bannister ( low odour/low VOC water based eggshell) on the outside only as you can see. I will put a plastic sheet down on the bottom before i put substrate in too
My A button is like a few people I know. Only works when it feels like it!!
You might need to put plastic sheeting on your walls too, I'm just thinking about the humidity on your wallpaper!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
oh it has gone! I was just adding some stuff to bring it to £60 to get £5 off and free delivery. It was IN MY BASKET!!
is this the same thing? This is just all so confusing
I thought i ws sorted yesterday too, with being told i only needed n led. LOL
Yes, this is the correct one.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Right i hve bought this one
£5 less than internet reptile s free postge
This is defo right yeh? Tho God knows where it is going to go
Yes, you bought the right one! :D

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You've done a good job on the enclosure. I'm going to think about how to put a top on it.

Could you take a pic of the left side? All of these are of the right side. I'd like to see what is on the left, how the enclosure fits in on the left.

rafsmum

wirral uk
You've done a good job on the enclosure. I'm going to think about how to put a top on it.

Could you take a pic of the left side? All of these are of the right side. I'd like to see what is on the left, how the enclosure fits in on the left.
as i said, the left side, his existing house will sit in it sideways. hang on, I will get a pic of his home i got him in.

ok so this is whta he is in now, It will be put with the long side ( 90cm) going laong the back, so his hide is front right, and the glass opens onto the new enclosure. I will remove the glss, ttach gthe white piece at the front to his existingn home, andnthat gives him a new run, but means if, say i wanted to take him away for the weekend, i can put the glass back in and use the existing table :) That was my thinking anyway
help with how to do on top would be apprecited. This is why i wondered if couple of cloches side by side would do the job, nd fill the sides in?
Or I am thinking can I "box" the end right in a little so that end would be raised, but then i worry tht my be too low nd he could get his shell stuck https://www.reptilecentre.com/vivexotic-viva-tortoise-table--oak-90x45x215cm_p23259552.htm
Obviously he is in this in our room tm so i cnt tke pic of it inside the extension as it means unplugging everything and carrying him downstairs

rafsmum

wirral uk
You might need to put plastic sheeting on your walls too, I'm just thinking about the humidity on your wallpaper!
yes i am hoping to put a cover over this, so the wallpper is outside of it if you know what i mean!
I couldnt sleep last night worryign about him as someone on the fb pge said his eyes looked funny like he had a deficiency. I just want to get this right for him. We ll love him so much <3

rafsmum

wirral uk
sorry hide is front left, it isnt letting me edit. I think you cn see wht i men. The bck of the unit will be on that left hnd wall. the glss front will open onto where the gap is, so it becomes one unit