less active then usual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
my tori (red foot) spent almost all day hiding today even though her eyes are all better. she came out to eat and get a drink and that was it(that i saw, i cant watch her 24/7 but i try). is this a problem or was she just being lazy today?lol

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Colorado
jrcrist4 said:
how old is she? if she is very young than this is normal behavior.

i think she is fairly young cuase she is only about 4 in. long (her under shell) do you know how old that would make her?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
More info would be helpful. Environment/temps, diet, history. You may have posted this all before, but it gets hard to remember everything and every thread.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Colorado
Madkins007 said:
More info would be helpful. Environment/temps, diet, history. You may have posted this all before, but it gets hard to remember everything and every thread.

well i have an open topped tort table 2 1/2 by 3 ft. (i plan to expand) temp stays around 80 degrees in the table and in my house. i do not have a humidity gage yet but it is deffinitly humid in there now(walls and plants stay very moist) i had some prob with the humididty but its better now. i feed her wide veriaty of greens, such as collard green, mustard greens, mixed baby greens, dandillion and the occasional kale. i also feed fruit on every third feeding, mango, rasberry, canalope ect......today was my first protien feeding(ive had her 2 weeks) i fed her a hard boiled egg(is this ok). she has been very active up until today, it even took her a wile to wake and come eat. im not to worried about cuase sometimes my python has days like this too but shes not that active in the first place.
please respond anything helps, this is my first tort!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
To be honest Borg, especially considering the older thread, I may suspect temps. Now I know you beat the watery eyes by upping humidity, but with that frequently comes lower temps. It can easily turn into a battle, as warmer air can hold more vapor, so the same quantity of vapor in air will read very differently on a humidity gauge at different temperatures.

In other words, lets say you go look at the table and notice temps are 80+, good, but uh oh, humidity is low. You then proceed to mist everything down good and the humidity gauge (if you had one) would go up. Say to yourself, ah that's better, walk away and never notice that as the water is converted to vapor the enclosure cools off. As the water all evaporates away, temperatures slowly rise back up, an hour later take another peek and sure enough temps are good, but humidity is low again.

I imagine many new keepers go through this cycle over and over again without realizing what's going on. Does that make sense?

A wet substrate will also have the same effect on the tort. A constantly evaporating, wet substrate will be much cooler than a dry one, and can literally suck the heat right of a tort.

These are the reasons I went to a fully encased enclosure for mine. I try to keep the air warm and humid, but the substrate dry to the touch on the surface.

There is some debate about whether redfoots are "thermo-regulators" in the wild. From my little bit of experience with them, basking seems to be something they need to learn to do, and does not come naturally. My first one had to be taught, but learned well, and the second hasn't learned it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.