Leopard tortoise in southern CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
It would be nicer if this had not suddenly become a "PROVEN BREEDER" in the last, oh, week.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'd be disappointed if I was the original seller. To let go of my pet only to find it being immediately flipped. :/ but that's just a risk you take...

Sent from my TFOapp

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
You think that's something... next week it could be het for albino!

Baoh said:
It would be nicer if this had not suddenly become a "PROVEN BREEDER" in the last, oh, week.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
A claim like that would push several people over the edge in their reactions.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I noticed the PROVEN BREEDER status as well... That is wrong and completely misrepresents this tortoise to the potential buyer. Mr. Navarrette is out of line.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
kanalomele said:
I noticed the PROVEN BREEDER status as well... That is wrong and completely misrepresents this tortoise to the potential buyer. Mr. Navarrette is out of line.

Exactly. Totally uncool to lie like that. Good on him for being quick to get it. Not good to make a huge flip profit and still lie to sell it. Not nice.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I do not care about the profit. The false claim is something I do care about.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know if I would go as far as to say he's lying. I suppose it all depends on how he defines "Proven Breeder". To me, that just means that the tortoise has bred with a female which I think could have happened in a weeks time. If it said "Proven Fertile Male" or something, then yeah, obviously that would be a lie. But I'm not sure about this one. I always ignore and avoid these types of marketing buzzwords, so maybe "proven" is a more universal term than I think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides that, the guy now selling the tortoise may have received the 'proven breeder' status info from the original owner. Maybe he was told that the tortoise had 'fathered' some progeny.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
An acquaintance had contacted both parties. There is strong inconsistency regarding its breeder status. Kept alone all its life versus "PROVEN BREEDER" inconsistency.

Proven means offspring have resulted from the sexual union in these contexts. That is a buyer's expectation. It could mate with a shoe, but that does not make it a proven breeder. You could make the argument for eggs which are fertile, but do not hatch. This fellow is not a proven breeder. A successful breeding is defined by its production.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I completely agree with you Baoh. "Proven" means that that he has fathered viable hatchlings. The abilityof a male of this size to mount a female is a given and needs no further explaination. The ability to fertilize a female and produce viable eggs is not "proven" until the eggs hatch and healthy babies are the proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.