Looks like a big feller.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
AustinASU said:
this is prob a scam

Based on what?

He has also had ads up for free crap for people to pick up and stuff like plumbing parts for sale. Typical CL activity.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Based on the fact that he wants to trade and he says it's a sulcuta. If your local and can see it in person then i'd do a deal, but time and time again i've seen these sort of deals go sour....person reveals something that is of higher value...but reveals in his add a different identity of the object....this gives the viewer the feeling of omg i gotta jump on this deal as this guy has no clue how much that large of a leopard is worth. The trader acts on pure emotion and works out a trade sends his stuff to him ( they always pick a house that is deserted or for sale for the address), then the guy who is supposed to send the leopard tortoise or wtv...he'll create the ups tag and type in the weight in everything so it's in the fedex or ups system....you've already sent your stuff and by the time they get it they cancel the sticker...and no trace. Then you get to pat your back for giving your stuff away for someone else to sell. Trust me this happens all the time.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
How about I do not trust you and a prospective buyer can simply check it out in person like one typically does on CL?

Many people here cannot tell the difference between a Russian and Greek, so him thinking it is a sulcata is not a surprise.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thats fine take a chance....Look up Mr. Mcgee on here and you'll see what i mean

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I didn't read this as a scam at all, but my impression may be biased as I have had very good luck with CL. Also I have never done deals on CL that did not involve meeting face to face. Anything otherwise is just asking for trouble.

Seems like we have lots of southern CA members, so maybe someone will take interest and check it out in person.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
definitely an in person meeting would be best, i'd hate for someone to be scammed again...never a cool thing

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am a So Cal member but the ad has been deleted. Did it have the pictures from faunaclassifieds, is that what happened? Darn. I was hoping it was Mr. McGee so I could meet him and whack him hard for all the good people he ripped off. With my big dog with me, of course. And my special forces neighbor with me, to boot. LOL. : 0

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
A guy in Yorba Linda had a leopard male for sale. He thought it was a sulcata. Wife basically said it needed to go. Asked what "you" had to trade for it.

Another guy traded for or bought it. Likely for a small sum. The animal you see in the Fauna ad is the same animal after having changed hands.

Nothing to do with any scamming.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Really? OMG! So he got if off Craigslist for pennies or traded something for it and now plans to get $1000 for it. Its a beauty of a tortoise, and in my opinion, worth every penny. I guess every so often one does luck out and get a good deal. Why can't I ever find a good deal?

***Oh, that's right...one has to first of all be looking for the deal in order to find it***

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thank you Baoh. My brain got it in reverse and sideways. Heat.
Oh wow. That is the leopard? It is awesome. Under the barter category. Darn it. Who would have thought to look there?
Is it a babcocki do y'all think? It just looks so big in the pictures. Yowsa. Handsome boy.

Oh wait, whoever got it to flip it was tipped off here and zipped over fast and got it. Duh! Now, I get it.

Beauty of a tortoise. Good find turtlesteve!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Yeah, looks like it was legit but got snatched up in a case of "flip this tortoise". I really hope I didn't clue the flipper in by posting here, as I was hoping to find it a home rather than help somebody make a buck.

Better luck next time.

Steve

Yvonne G said:
Really? OMG! So he got if off Craigslist for pennies or traded something for it and now plans to get $1000 for it. Its a beauty of a tortoise, and in my opinion, worth every penny. I guess every so often one does luck out and get a good deal. Why can't I ever find a good deal?

***Oh, that's right...one has to first of all be looking for the deal in order to find it***

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
turtlesteve said:
Yeah, looks like it was legit but got snatched up in a case of "flip this tortoise". I really hope I didn't clue the flipper in by posting here, as I was hoping to find it a home rather than help somebody make a buck.

Better luck next time.

Steve

Yvonne G said:

Perhaps the person who purchases it now will give it a decent home.

Who knows? There really is no harm in the resale.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
No turtlesteve, it's okay. At least it is on faunaclassified and I think at that price it will go to someone now who knows leopards. Hopefully it will find a happy place, home with good care. It could have gone to someone without any clue whatsoever, Russian roulette, on craigslist. Of course, if I had seen your thread sooner it could have been me! Okay, now I am bummed out. : (

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Yeah, I guess I can't fault anyone for taking such a good opportunity. Got to keep looking, I'm sure there will be more chances!

Steve

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
turtlesteve said:
Yeah, I guess I can't fault anyone for taking such a good opportunity. Got to keep looking, I'm sure there will be more chances!

Steve

Your heart was in the right place when you shared the ad with your fellow TFOers. I for one, was slow on the saddle. Heck I did not even get near the saddle until today and the pony was off and running already. Everything for a reason. That tortoise had a different journey with someone else. All good. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.