Leopard Tort has stopped eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmulnix

5 Year Member
Hi everyone.
My year old leopard tortoise stopped eating about 3 days ago. I have been soaking him thinking he may be dehtdrated but no change.
Any suggestions?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
How old is the tortoise? I'm guessing young...if that's the case not eating isn't good and their condition will deteriorate quite rapidly at a young age. Can you give us some details about how you are keeping him? type of enclosure, substrate, lighting, temperatures, etc... That will help to pinpoint any possible problems.

tmulnix

5 Year Member
He's about a year old. At his small size he's kept in a 10 gal geranium with a shaded area he can enter on 1 side and a 50 watt uv light on the other side. I've been feeding him mostly greens (romaine lettuce, cilantro, collard).

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What are your temperatures like? how long have you had him?

tmulnix

5 Year Member
I've had him about 6 months. Temperature is about 85 in the direct light and 72 in the shaded area.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think your temperatures may need a little adjustment. My leopards do well with a warm spot near 100 and the cool end above 80. 85 should be warm enough to digest their food, but I've found slightly warmer gets a them a bit more active and want to eat. If he hasn't eaten by tomorrow you should go out and get some baby food (carrots seem to work the best for me), mix it with some warm water and soak him in that. That way he'll at least get some nutrients in him. If he doesn't get his appetite soon after that you will want to get him to a vet, again, young tortoises will deteriorate rapidly if it doesn't eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "timulnix:"

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.