Sulcata stopped eating

Holden19

Location (City and/or State)
Central California
My 1 and a half year old sulcata tortoise stopped eating the timothy hay and soaked food pellets I was giving them and now they are just eating the collard greens that I give them. is this okay what should I do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No it's not okay. They shouldn't eat a lot of collards.
Babies don't usually take to hay. Nice that yours did though. If you can't get any natural foods yet then use better grocery greens. Escarole, endive, arugula, dandelion, cactus pads, water cress, mix in some spring mix minus most of the spinach and you can also add small amounts of lettuces.
Be sure his set up is correct. He should be in a closed chamber with 80% humidity, 80-85 day and night temps all over with a basking area of 95-100.
Basking bulb should be an incandescent, straight tube fluorescent for uvb and ceramic heat emitter for any needed extra day and night heat

Holden19

Central California
No it's not okay. They shouldn't eat a lot of collards.
Babies don't usually take to hay. Nice that yours did though. If you can't get any natural foods yet then use better grocery greens. Escarole, endive, arugula, dandelion, cactus pads, water cress, mix in some spring mix minus most of the spinach and you can also add small amounts of lettuces.
Be sure his set up is correct. He should be in a closed chamber with 80% humidity, 80-85 day and night temps all over with a basking area of 95-100.
Basking bulb should be an incandescent, straight tube fluorescent for uvb and ceramic heat emitter for any needed extra day and night heat
Thanks will do

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 1 and a half year old sulcata tortoise stopped eating the timothy hay and soaked food pellets I was giving them and now they are just eating the collard greens that I give them. is this okay what should I do?
Timothy hay isn't a good option for them at any age, and hay is for adults, not babies. Collard greens are not toxic, but they should be fed sparingly, not regularly.

Check this out and take a look at the sulcata care sheet near the bottom for all the correct care and feeding info:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Can we see some pictures? How big is your Sulcata and what is his weight?