Leopard indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Well Im currently building a custom wood enclosure for my little leopard tortoise and soon to be roomy. I started off by using ceder wood and boards that I had purchased at home depot in the discount pile. I used good old fashion Elmers wood glue and screws. It may be hard to see in the pictures but in-order to reinforce the structure I used aluminum T joints and square screw plates. I decided to use glass instead of plexi glass because glass was significantly cheaper then plexiglass. In order to place the glass in the wood enclosure I filleted the top and bottom wooden boards. I also coated it with a Bears wood stain and a layer Of Rustolium for the dark color, because all my furniture is a dark wood. The last part I have to do is to coat the inside with the Thompson Wood sealant, screw in the ligh fixtures, place a waterproofing tarp in the bottom and then insert tortoise. Enjoy the pics and hopefully I will finish soon.

Also I am picking up a new tortoise tomorrow from James woody from http://www.the-woodysreptiles.com, I know another user here had purchased a tortoise from him and his is doing well. I know he dosnt do the humid enclosure but he does offer weekly soaks and as they are only 2 months old and fairly cheep I wont be to worried about the pyramiding right off the bat, Im getting one. He sent me a picture of the clutch he has, which one would you choose if you were me.

Attachments

• TC paint.jpg
    TC paint.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 107
  • TC painted dark2.jpg
    TC painted dark2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 1223122203b.jpg
    1223122203b.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 1223122203a.jpg
    1223122203a.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 173
  • 1223122204 (1).jpg
    1223122204 (1).jpg
    738.8 KB · Views: 105
  • NEW_LEOS_1_8_13_AD (1).jpg
    NEW_LEOS_1_8_13_AD (1).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 206

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
How can you choose!!! They are all beautiful. The dark ones are so striking. Which way are you leaning?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The rounder ones without spots are cute...but the longer ones with double scute spots make me think they'd have more pardalis characteristics..

Even i would have a though time choosing! Good luck :)

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I kinda like the to one next to the greens with no spots.but i do like the double spot one in the left because i do like a slightly larger tortoise. Its a tough call.

critters88

5 Year Member
This is who I was planing on getting mine from. Let me know how yours is doing. He will have to ship mine so I have to wait a bit, though he did say he would ship if temps was above 20 but I would have to pick him up at fedex in town which is no big deal to me. But will still be a couple weeks away. Dont take the little light colored one I knida like that one. What do you think it will look like when its older.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
critters88 said:
This is who I was planing on getting mine from. Let me know how yours is doing. He will have to ship mine so I have to wait a bit, though he did say he would ship if temps was above 20 but I would have to pick him up at fedex in town which is no big deal to me. But will still be a couple weeks away. Dont take the little light colored one I knida like that one. What do you think it will look like when its older.

That is awsome, ya it seems like a few people from this forum are purchasing their tortoises from him. I decided to get the one in the second row, second from the left. I liked the one next to the greens, but didnt see him when I met up with Jason. I did like this little feller because I think he might be mostly pardalis because of his two spots. If your talking about the far left one in the second row I almost bought him and another one, but they were tiny tiny tiny for 4 months, like the size of a nickle, I had never seen such small little leopard tortoises, but my Gf loved him. The one I just bought seems to be doing good, when I brought him home to soak he laid flat sprawled out with his face in the water and it looked like a crime scene. He does soak them every day he says and he was faily good to work with and at a 100 bucks for a leopard you can't really go to wrong.

critters88

5 Year Member
dcwolfe said:
critters88 said:

That is awsome, ya it seems like a few people from this forum are purchasing their tortoises from him. I decided to get the one in the second row, second from the left. I liked the one next to the greens, but didnt see him when I met up with Jason. I did like this little feller because I think he might be mostly pardalis because of his two spots. If your talking about the far left one in the second row I almost bought him and another one, but they were tiny tiny tiny for 4 months, like the size of a nickle, I had never seen such small little leopard tortoises, but my Gf loved him. The one I just bought seems to be doing good, when I brought him home to soak he laid flat sprawled out with his face in the water and it looked like a crime scene. He does soak them every day he says and he was faily good to work with and at a 100 bucks for a leopard you can't really go to wrong.
Yes the right lighter colored one well good to hear about the breeder, it just scares me to death having him shipped maybe cause planes scare me to death lol no really afraid he will end upside down get to cold have some god awful delay and be sitting somewhere. Will probably order one and be awake till the little guy get here. But yours seems healthy and everything? Did he eat yet. Im just so nervous I will do something wrong. Been reading alot and in a couple weeks gonna get things together for his home. Let it be for a few days till I get temps, humidity all in order really worried about the diet. SD is know for Beef not produce lol.PS Post some pic please with something for a size reference. like I said Im new and trying to figure out how big the are when you get hatchling, 4 month old, jsut something to go by. thanks

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I like your enclosure a lot! Ok, just so you know, that is where I got my monster Sulcata Cooper from! He treated me real good by answering every email I sent, sometimes it may have taken a day or two, but it was a good place. James asked me if I lived next door to a nuke power plant because of how big Cooper is for his age. Post pic's of your new tort when you get him/her! :)

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
[

Yes the right lighter colored one well good to hear about the breeder, it just scares me to death having him shipped maybe cause planes scare me to death lol no really afraid he will end upside down get to cold have some god awful delay and be sitting somewhere. Will probably order one and be awake till the little guy get here. But yours seems healthy and everything? Did he eat yet. Im just so nervous I will do something wrong. Been reading alot and in a couple weeks gonna get things together for his home. Let it be for a few days till I get temps, humidity all in order really worried about the diet. SD is know for Beef not produce lol.PS Post some pic please with something for a size reference. like I said Im new and trying to figure out how big the are when you get hatchling, 4 month old, jsut something to go by. thanks
[/quote]

He ate and drank right when I got him home, but that his stopped and I think he is just getting used to his new inviorment and all the commotion. I also him in my current humid enclosure and am just getting ready to move them into the new one as soon as I am a 150 percent sure that all the fumes from the paint are gone. I was able to take a few photos, but it was a rainy day here in Arizona so I had to take them inside. Ill get them out in the sun tomorrow for some good sunshine. I wish I didn't have to quarantine him, because as soon as the little guys see's my larger one he bults to try and say hi. When do you think your going to get yours and if your anything like me Id be biting at the bit to get one lol. Im going to upload the pics I have now and then Ill take some better ones, because these ones dont do them justice in their size difference.

cemmons12 said:
I like your enclosure a lot! Ok, just so you know, that is where I got my monster Sulcata Cooper from! He treated me real good by answering every email I sent, sometimes it may have taken a day or two, but it was a good place. James asked me if I lived next door to a nuke power plant because of how big Cooper is for his age. Post pic's of your new tort when you get him/her! :)

Thanks, I am just finishing it up and I cant wait to put the little guys in there and its really funny how many people get their tortoises from him. He was a nice guy. I have seen some pics of your big old sulcata and hes massive.

Well here's a few pics taken on my phone.

Attachments

• 2013-01-26_17-53-49_713.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-53-49_713.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • 2013-01-26_17-54-06_956.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-54-06_956.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 60
  • 2013-01-26_17-58-30_921.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-58-30_921.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • 2013-01-26_17-59-50_276.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-59-50_276.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 2013-01-26_18-00-26_805.jpg
    2013-01-26_18-00-26_805.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

critters88

5 Year Member
dcwolfe said:
[

He ate and drank right when I got him home, but that his stopped and I think he is just getting used to his new inviorment and all the commotion. I also him in my current humid enclosure and am just getting ready to move them into the new one as soon as I am a 150 percent sure that all the fumes from the paint are gone. I was able to take a few photos, but it was a rainy day here in Arizona so I had to take them inside. Ill get them out in the sun tomorrow for some good sunshine. I wish I didn't have to quarantine him, because as soon as the little guys see's my larger one he bults to try and say hi. When do you think your going to get yours and if your anything like me Id be biting at the bit to get one lol. Im going to upload the pics I have now and then Ill take some better ones, because these ones dont do them justice in their size difference.

cemmons12 said:

Thanks, I am just finishing it up and I cant wait to put the little guys in there and its really funny how many people get their tortoises from him. He was a nice guy. I have seen some pics of your big old sulcata and hes massive.

Well here's a few pics taken on my phone.
[/quote]

Well it will be a couple weeks yet before I get mine :( and now that I have seen pics of yours its going to be a longer 2 weeks! He is so CUTE, I think your pics show his colors better then the pic the breeder has. The little one I would like to get, if he still has him must be a lot lighter then the pic shows. I have priced somethings and looked at fake plants and different things to plant for it. Im getting so itchy for a couple of these guys. And like I said before its been cold here so also waitng for the temps to go up a little for shipping him its 33 out right now we had been in the below zero temps to teens for a long time, just really afraid of shipping in these temps. The breeder did say he would send them with heat bags. I think next week I will start working on the enclosure so I can get temps going. I want to keep records of temps and growht and weight.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Well it took my a while but I finally have some up close pictures of the new little tortoise.

Also I have some more pics of the new enclosure stained and ready to go. I was going to use the thompson water seal, because that is what everyone on here has been using and the second website was titled thompson water seal killed my dog and it went on to describe a horrific experience with the death of their dog. So I think i will scip on that and maybe just hope the paint and weather proofing stain will hold in the moisture? or do you think i need some kind of epoxy.

Attachments

• 2013-01-26_17-19-07_164.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-19-07_164.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 2013-01-26_17-19-34_539.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-19-34_539.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 2013-01-26_17-47-02_663.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-47-02_663.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 2013-01-26_17-47-15_789.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-47-15_789.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 2013-01-26_17-47-31_819.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-47-31_819.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 2013-01-26_17-49-43_744.jpg
    2013-01-26_17-49-43_744.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2013-01-25_20-41-58_103.jpg
    2013-01-25_20-41-58_103.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 2013-01-25_20-42-43_253.jpg
    2013-01-25_20-42-43_253.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 2013-01-25_20-43-02_433.jpg
    2013-01-25_20-43-02_433.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 2013-01-25_20-44-03_693.jpg
    2013-01-25_20-44-03_693.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
wow amazing you were able to make that with wood from the scrap pile! good job. you picked the leo I would have picked... the biggest one of the bunch :)

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Thanks for all the nice replies. I also wanted to know your thoughts on when you guys think a safe time would be to put them together. The little guy is very active and eating healthy and is itching to get out of his smaller Tupperware. So how long is the average quarantine stage?

critters88

5 Year Member
Well I got the money and James from woody's reptiles sent me a pic of what he has left, hes 5 out of the group you got yours out of. Im still thinking the 2 light colored ones. So yep Im going to do this wish me luck Im so scared and nervous.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I am looking forward to pics of the one you decide on how fun. I love my baby Leo.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Ya that will be awesome. I wonder how the little guys are going to turn out and what kind of patterns you will see from them

Status
Not open for further replies.