Glass tank solution! (Maybe need your suggestions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitality

5 Year Member
I have currently a 40 gallon breeder tank and it just pains me to see my tort seeing its reflection in it. Many people will say that the zoo med tort table made of wood is recommended but i thought of a solution. I was wondering if i could buy thin wood boards and place them over the glass walls. But im not sure what kind of wood i should buy. Any suggestions?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
You could cover the bottom 6 inches of the tank with anything. Aquarium background, paper, linoleum, etc. if you are going to put something like wood to cover, it needs to be on the outside. A 40g is on the smaller side and you don't want to put wood around the inside and take up space.

And if its going on the outside, any wood will do.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I had the same problem as you with a Ball Python, they are very quiet, reclusive creatures. To fix the problem, and make her feel more secure, I spray painted a huge piece of card board, cut ot to size to fit around three sides of the tank, and now she feels more comfortable. It's cheaper than wood and works. Also you can customize it :) I made her's green and brown Camo.

Vitality

5 Year Member
I was planning to get a really thin board. To put on the inside. I canny hold up the sides if it was on the outside. I was thinking 5 centimeters thick or anything thinner if i can find it. He will still see his reflection if the board was on the outside. I want to make a tort table but i just dont have room in this apartment.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Do what I did to my tanks. Take it outside mask off a 6in line from the bottom then spray paint the outside with automotive acrylic spray paint. Let it sit outside in the sun for a day then wash with water house and bam it solves the problem.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I was going to suggest masking and spray paint too.
I do that for my fish tanks and my aquatic turtle tank.

My tortoise tank has aquarium wall paper on 2 sides.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
If it's of any use, I use duct tape on the outside of my enclosure so my torts can't see out. It's black on both sides, and they don't try and get out/attack their reflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.