Russian Tortoise Enclosure Material

Arlingstin

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Is there any type of wood that you would recommend that is safe for the tortoise but also looks good. I know it is kinda silly but I just want to make sure my tortoise will be happy and healthy. Also, I am planning on building my enclosure more like your traditional reptile tank, screen on top and 3 wood sides (With small vents) with a glass door (The Tortoise will not be able to see through the glass). Is this an ok design or should I put glass all the way around, or is a tortoise table better? The only reason that I ask is because I want to easily control the humidity and temp.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I think pine is toxic especially when it is heated, like it emits some sort of fumes. I don't have a suggestion for you but hopefully some other members chime in soon.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I think pine is toxic especially when it is heated, like it emits some sort of fumes. I don't have a suggestion for you but hopefully some other members chime in soon.
Pine is only "toxic" when used as shavings as bedding. It doesn't outgas significantly when entire. Poplar is also good. I made my enclosure from stained poplar and it's lovely. Got it at Home Depot.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Use a plywood you can get a nice birch finished plywood is 26.99 for 3/4 in. x 2 ft. x 4 ft. piece. It stains really nice and with a couple coats of poly it would have a strong finish. BTW is this for an adult Russian or a baby?