Large male Hermann’s??

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Alright guys, I have a 4 year old male Hermann’s and He’s hungry all the time, I have give him two meals a day as of recently because he just won’t stop bothering me if I don’t 😂
I know that Hermann’s grow slowly over the course of 10 years, he’s already 6” long and still had significant growth lines that keep getting bigger! My question is what is the largest Hermann’s tortoise you have heard of and is this normal for him to be this big ( and still growing) at such a young age?!

Attachments

• 1336CCA4-3780-407B-B7F6-2E9870C4E0AC.jpeg
    1336CCA4-3780-407B-B7F6-2E9870C4E0AC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 8A514828-1142-4D1A-9187-DAB630F93536.jpeg
    8A514828-1142-4D1A-9187-DAB630F93536.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • A196D6B2-279A-42D5-BF97-B80634F45617.jpeg
    A196D6B2-279A-42D5-BF97-B80634F45617.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Tortoises should have enough food to graze on and off all day. As long as he has a proper sized enclosure he won't over eat and get fat. Feed him more.
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I will make sure I feed him more. As far as his size, is that normal? Will he continue to grow? What’s the largest Hermann’s you’ve had experience with?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I will make sure I feed him more. As far as his size, is that normal? Will he continue to grow? What’s the largest Hermann’s you’ve had experience with?
I have not seen Hermann's other than pictures, so its hard to say how big they really were. I do know they get bigger than I thought they did. But then again, I have a Russian, who has always been small to me. Smaller than a soft ball and also seemed smaller compared to the many pictures of ones I see.
Either way though, he yours looks good, I wouldn't worry about him.
As for getting bigger, most likely some, but will probably be very slow growth now and not as noticable.
Once my leopards got to a more adult size, it's not as noticable any more that they are likely still growing. They are 12 years now.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was thinking like wellington. Everyone grows at different speeds. So you have the ability to give your tortoise the right food at the right time. Unlike mother nature. Evidently s/he's going through a growth spurt. So yes more good food while s/he'll eat.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Alright guys, I have a 4 year old male Hermann’s and He’s hungry all the time, I have give him two meals a day as of recently because he just won’t stop bothering me if I don’t 😂
I know that Hermann’s grow slowly over the course of 10 years, he’s already 6” long and still had significant growth lines that keep getting bigger! My question is what is the largest Hermann’s tortoise you have heard of and is this normal for him to be this big ( and still growing) at such a young age?!
It's normal, This is Gene's weight and length he hatched out August 15 2019. KIMG2478.JPGKIMG2491~2.JPGTo get an accurate length measurement set the ruler against a barrier and set the tortoise on it. With the front of the shell held against the barrier.KIMG2489.JPG

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
My 4 year old Hermann’s is nearly 7 inches long and weighs well over 2 pounds.

Grace-Sophia

Texas

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
He turned 4 in May. He is still growing, despite me telling him to stop. I keep telling him we don’t want to be in the Guinness world records, but he just doesn’t listen 😂 His growth has definitely slowed way down. The only place I see new growth lines is more on his back end. He has this little house made of expanded PVC that he likes to sleep in and I have had to widen the door a few times now because his butt gets too big to fit through.

IMG_0476.jpeg

Grace-Sophia

Texas
He turned 4 in May. He is still growing, despite me telling him to stop. I keep telling him we don’t want to be in the Guinness world records, but he just doesn’t listen 😂 His growth has definitely slowed way down. The only place I see new growth lines is more on his back end. He has this little house made of expanded PVC that he likes to sleep in and I have had to widen the door a few times now because his butt gets too big to fit through.

View attachment 360773
how big is his enclosure? Seems like a big boy, he must need a lot of space!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
That’s his enclosure in the background of the picture posted above. It’s a fair size. He’s been in this enclosure since just before he was 2 years old. If/when he needs another size upgrade, I will convert his bedroom into an enclosure.

IMG_7841.jpeg

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
how big is his enclosure? Seems like a big boy, he must need a lot of space!
Your tortoise isn’t too far behind mine, size wise. How much does he weigh? How do you have pictures of his enclosure? I always love seeing how other people house their Hermann’s tortoises so I can come up with new ideas for my enclosure.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Our Hermanns tortoise weighs about 2 lb and measures a little over 6 inches. He is 23 years old, and still has some translucent areas on the edges of his shell in places, but If he is growing, it is extremely slowly. We are glad about that , because we take him about with us a lot, and he fits into a hand.
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I should have mentioned that Zola had a bad start in life, as his shell was damaged when he was a baby - we were told he had been stepped on. His eyes were swollen too. We think he had internal damage, and although he is very strong and lively for his size, he is still pretty small.
He has a fairly large conservatory, which is "his" room - with lots of space for running and climbing -and eating ,
Angie

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Your tortoise isn’t too far behind mine, size wise. How much does he weigh? How do you have pictures of his enclosure? I always love seeing how other people house their Hermann’s tortoises so I can come up with new ideas for my enclosure.
Murphy weighs about 1.7 lbs
His enclosure is a large zen habitats setup

zovick

10 Year Member!
He looks happy and content. Good work!