Russians vs. Hermann’s and Biting

rosietort

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver BC
Hi all, I’m looking to get either a Russian or a Hermann’s tortoise but I’m undecided. I’ve done all my research on care, and I had initially already decided on a Russian, however, now I keep seeing posts from other people about how territorial and nippy their Russians are, not just to other tortoises but to their humans as well. While I understand tortoises aren’t dogs and cats, I would prefer not being constantly scared for my fingers and toes. I’ve now been warned that Hermann’s are the same way.

For those who have experience with both, can you please provide some insight? Are they both just as nippy? Also, in terms of personality and friendliness, are they just about the same? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It must be an individual tortoise type thing. I have a male and three female russians and none of them are nippy towards me.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi all, I’m looking to get either a Russian or a Hermann’s tortoise but I’m undecided. I’ve done all my research on care, and I had initially already decided on a Russian, however, now I keep seeing posts from other people about how territorial and nippy their Russians are, not just to other tortoises but to their humans as well. While I understand tortoises aren’t dogs and cats, I would prefer not being constantly scared for my fingers and toes. I’ve now been warned that Hermann’s are the same way.

For those who have experience with both, can you please provide some insight? Are they both just as nippy? Also, in terms of personality and friendliness, are they just about the same? Thanks!
I think it all depends on the tortoise, rather than what sort they are.The one thing I do know about Russian tortoises that seems universal is that they are great climbers and escapologists.
Our Hermann's tortoise , who is 21, has never been a biter, except when he is being hand-fed and misses the food by mistake ! He can get a bit aggressive now and then, when something annoys him, but mostly he has a very friendly attitude to people. I would advise not having bare feet around him, though, just in case !
I am sure some of any tortoise's behaviour is personality, and part is due to how they are treated.
Angie

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I have a Russian and find it has a great personality and can move fast. Russians are escape artists always looking for the exit or how to escape so the habitat needs to be secure. Enjoy which ever one you get. They do need time and care but are rewarding. They do not need a friend and can live solo.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a Russian that has never tried to bit or chase me.
He has escaped and climbed a tree, but other then that he is a Joy to have and easy to keep.
They not only do not need a friend and can live alone, they should unless you get a group of the correct sex ratio.

rosietort

Vancouver BC
Thank you, everyone! So glad to hear some of you have sweet friendly ones who aren’t biters. I’ve been seeing so many on Instagram and some people said it’s very common especially for Russians. ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank you, everyone! So glad to hear some of you have sweet friendly ones who aren’t biters. I’ve been seeing so many on Instagram and some people said it’s very common especially for Russians. ?
Painting your toenails bright colors can sometimes attract their attention. I don't know if the same applies to fingernails. Lol. Welcome to the forum!!