Kiddie Pool Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, CA
I’m stepping up a kiddie swimming pool for outside time and I bought Earth Gro ground covering bark to go in it. As I was spreading it around I was getting stuck a little with little splitters. Will this be safe for my leopard or should I use something else? I looked at Tom’s set up for this type of outside pool play time and he used the ground covering bark, so I’m thinking this would be okay. Please Help! Thanks
IMAG0275_zps8fb02f4f.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it will be okay. I don't like it for the reasons you said. I only use coconut coir. However, that is just my preference. What you have is fine.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I've used kiddie pools and that ground cover, with good result, it's a simple easy to do set-up, takes minutes to tear down and clean, and re-build again. Pink??? just kidding, your tortoise might think it's in a wall of flowers. Those splinters are annoying. Orchid bark seems to have been washed or something, it has fewer of the splinters, but still some. It's also more expensive for the same amount. The Coconut husk is a good alternative, and available at indoor plant growing stores all over.

I'm figuring the full sun is for the photo. Double shade is a good idea, that is something shading the in-pool shade/hide. Otherwise the sun will build up radient heat in the in-pool shade/hide that is almost as hot as direct sun. Shade in shade like double pane windows is effective to provide a cooler retreat, as well as dark and out of the sun. Heat will not transmit through double shade to readily, even if not sealed like those windows.

Will

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
Yes, the full sun was for the picture. I plan on putting more plants I just wanted opinions first just in case I needed to change the ground covering. I plan on adding some coconut fiber on the top too AND YES PINK! I sent my kids to pick up the pool and they brought me back the pink one (my favorite color) lol.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can put a plank of wood (12"?) across one side to add some extra shade as well, also what Tom advises in his 'kiddie pool' post, I believe.
Your substrate looks nice and moist.
A couple of flat rocks for your tortoise to climb over to help trim his nails.

Your tortoise will thrive in the sun.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
do you have a issue with them eating the bark? mine does. where can you get bulk coco coir

Status
Not open for further replies.