Ceramic Heat Emitter for Hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Monterey, CA
Hi All,
This morning while I was misting/spraying my sulcata [/u]tort’s 55 gallon glass tank with warm water (to increase humidity), the heating red bulb blew off. I guess I might have sprayed water on the bulb without seeing it. Has this ever happen to you? Anyway, I need to get a replacement for tonight to keep them warm. I’m considering a Ceramic Heat Emitter instead.

Which one of the following would you recommend? Any other recommendations?
A. Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts
B. Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 150 Watts
http://www.zoomed.com

Thanks,
Marcel

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
A 100 watt should be fine what is your room temp at night ? you should leave it on for a few hours then adjust it up or down to you get the right temp:)

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
coreyc said:
A 100 watt should be fine what is your room temp at night ? you should leave it on for a few hours then adjust it up or down to you get the right temp:)

Thanks Coreyc for your input. At nights, it is around 60 degrees. This morning was 62 degrees.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
marinaresident said:
coreyc said:

Thanks Coreyc for your input. At nights, it is around 60 degrees. This morning was 62 degrees.

That's cilly maybe you should get a 150 you can always move it up:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your red bulb was 100 watts or less (probably was about 60), then the 100 watt CHE should be ok for your needs.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
marinaresident said:
Hi All,
This morning while I was misting/spraying my sulcata [/u]tort’s 55 gallon glass tank with warm water (to increase humidity), the heating red bulb blew off. I guess I might have sprayed water on the bulb without seeing it. Has this ever happen to you? Anyway, I need to get a replacement for tonight to keep them warm. I’m considering a Ceramic Heat Emitter instead.

Which one of the following would you recommend? Any other recommendations?
A. Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts
B. Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 150 Watts
http://www.zoomed.com

Thanks,
Marcel

YES. the red bulbs can be dangerous if not monitored closely. i had one for outside use once that blew up, thankfully no torts were injured. After that I switched methods. at work, we mostly use ceramic, however, do have several different types in the "snake/frog rooms," but the enclosures are designed so that no misting water hits the bulbs.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
If you need to put it inside a covered enclosure,you can put a dimmer switch inline to regulate the temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.