New Tortoise Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hambone

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
I’m just starting to research some of the larger breeds of Tortoises and ran across this forum and figured it would be a great place to ask questions and get recommendations. I have a Russian that I’ve had now for about 3 years and he is doing great. I keep him inside 99% of the time. So I am a little familiar with keeping Tortoises.

I am wanting a larger breed. Something like a Leopard or a Sucalta. I was wanting to keep him primarily in my backyard which is 4800 sq feet. My fence is chain link and in great condition with no holes ect. I was wanting him to have access to the whole yard. I have a flower garden and can plant any recommended grazing flowers/plants they like. I can also put in a shallow kid pool in ground for him to soak in. Basically I can set my backyard up to fit their needs.

What are some basic dos and don’ts when setting up a large backyard for them to graze on.

Should I get a pair? Do they do better when they have a “friend?”

Any particular reason you would go with a Leopard over a Scualta or vise versa. Or any other breed you would recommend.

I live in the Dallas area so are temps are 100 during the summer, and a few days below freezing in the winter.

Thanks for ya’lls help.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Glad you are doing your research first. First of all a chain fence may or may not work. Sulcatas can push through them if they choose to. You may have to line it with wood or block. If you have beautiful landscaping they will trash it. Some plants are toxic so you will have to research that. The tort will need a heated shed or large dog house for cold weather. Tortoises are loners and do not need another tort. If you happen to get two males they could fight. On the other hand a male and female will breed :) I love Sulcatas, I have 2. They are great fun to watch. I am new to Leopards, I have a hatchling. If you are looking for a tort that is already large, a rescue is a great place to get one.

Hambone

5 Year Member
Dallas
Good thinking about them being able to push through the fence. I guess I could block off a 1/4 or more of my back yard with railroad ties if I can find some that haven’t been soaked in creosote.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I thought about using railroad ties too but went with cinder block. I like the block because they can be moved easier and added to anytime you need to. Sulcatas can also dig huge burrows. Mine so far are happy with the hides that I have made for them and do not dig. If you want to read some great antics of large Sulcatas search for Bob. He is my favorite Sulcata on the forum:)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It Would Be Great To Get a Pair, Female and MALE Tho!
If You Get two Males or Females They Can Fight and Or Cause a Death To Each other, By Taking Each others Food Etc!
Also Where Do You Live?
Do You Plan On Getting Babies, If So They Need An Out Door Enclosure Until They Are Bigger To Roam Around
The Whole Yard Without Worry Of Getting Out Thru a Small Hole, Or Predator!

They Also love to dig AND Burrow, Some Can Be Quite Messy, At Night You Need An Heated Shed or House
to Keep Them Warm

Hambone

5 Year Member
Dallas
I live in the Dallas area. I haven’t look into getting a baby or a little bit of an older on yet. I’m guessing a baby would be more readily available. I’m still a ways out on purchasing one. I still need to do a bunch of reading and make a secure enclosure first. If I make an outdoor enclosure would 900 sq feet be a good size?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hambone:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

I visited the Dallas/Fort Worth area a few weeks ago and I must say you have the prettiest downtown buildings I've ever seen! Great-looking city.

Status
Not open for further replies.