Keeping your humidifier clean...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Tips for keeping your humidifier clean

To keep humidifiers free of harmful mold, fungi and bacteria.

• Use distilled or demineralized water. Tap water contains minerals that can create deposits inside your humidifier that promote bacterial growth. And, when released into the air, these minerals often appear as white dust on your furniture. You may also breathe in some minerals that are dispersed into the air. Distilled or demineralized water has a much lower mineral content compared with tap water.
  • Change humidifier water often. Don't allow film or deposits to develop inside your humidifiers. Empty the tanks, dry the inside surfaces and refill with clean water every day if possible, especially if using cool mist or ultrasonic humidifiers. Unplug the unit first.
  • Clean humidifiers every three days. Unplug the humidifier before you clean it. Remove any mineral deposits or film from the tank or other parts of the humidifier with a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution, which is available at pharmacies. Some manufacturers recommend using chlorine bleach or other disinfectants.
  • Always rinse the tank after cleaning to keep harmful chemicals from becoming airborne — and then inhaled.
  • Change humidifier filters regularly. If the humidifier has a filter, change it at least as often as the manufacturer recommends — and more often if it's dirty.
Please remember how important it is to allow the appliance to COMPLETELY dry out from time to time to allow die off of any undesired growth within the system...if you are using a system that has a directional hose ...the hose should be replaced often as this is a place that can generate a large bacterial growth zone...

I know alot of folks use systems that generate high humidity so thought I would just share these basics :D

M

Maggie Cummings

You made me feel bad, I use one in Bob's shed during the winter, so it is dusty, dirty, nasty and yucky. Too much trouble to carry it into the house to keep clean. Guess I'll start...:)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Maggie I did not mean for anyone to feel bad :p....just have seen lots about running high humidity and such that I wanted to share this in the event folks are not doing it (or don't know it is a healthy thing to do)...especially for the closed chamber set ups indoors ...

M

Maggie Cummings

Maggie I did not mean for anyone to feel bad :p....just have seen lots about running high humidity and such that I wanted to share this in the event folks are not doing it (or don't know it is a healthy thing to do)...especially for the closed chamber set ups indoors ...
I know you didn't, I was just teasin you...