Wet or dry humidifier for Redfoot shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi all,
It's winter time again and my Redfoots go from the sunny outdoors into the shed for winter. This will be their 3rd year and I'm thinking about going to a wet humidifier. Anyone have experence with them?

Backgound info: the shed is 8x12 feet, heated with a heater from above and 3 heat emitters below. Insulated, water bowls sunk into floor, plants hanging from ceiling to break up air flow, window, and uva/uvb lights to mimic day hours in summer.

Currently I use a dry humidifier (no chemicals in the filter or additatives, just plain distilled water) and have it running constantly to reach 65% humidity. I was thinking about adding a warm air humidifier to get the humidity up.

Additionally, they get a bath weekly, have access to water at all times and sprayed down 2x a day.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with warm air humidifiers?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Just some advice that is off topic and that I got from another thread. Put a lower roof in because it will keep it insulated better since torts arent as big as humans. Just some advice.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
I have never heard of a dry Vs wet, only hot vs cold (vaporizer vs humidifier) The warm air Humidifiers/ vaporizers get real hot in order to boil the water (yes, it reaches boiling levels. I have checked it after I scolded myself) and I always worry tht something will catch fire or burn something. For tropical barn, I have 2 nursery humidifiers and they keep it up to about 60-70%. Be sure to throw them in the dishwasher often though. Bacteria seem to really like that warm, wet surface.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
safari_lass1 said:
I have never heard of a dry Vs wet, only hot vs cold (vaporizer vs humidifier) The warm air Humidifiers/ vaporizers get real hot in order to boil the water (yes, it reaches boiling levels. I have checked it after I scolded myself) and I always worry tht something will catch fire or burn something. For tropical barn, I have 2 nursery humidifiers and they keep it up to about 60-70%. Be sure to throw them in the dishwasher often though. Bacteria seem to really like that warm, wet surface.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for.

I think you are right, I should have called it a hot humidifier, that's what I meant. I know what you mean about being scared of fire, electrical shorts...I'm concerned about that also. Maybe I should get another dry humidifier and run 2.

If I didn't check on them several times a day I think the humidity would get higher. Everytime I open the door I lose it!

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
I have the same issue, I also leave a few buckets of water throughout the room and that actually helps a lot. I have to refill them at least every other day.

I also have humid and dry hides available and keep the humid hides pretty well drenched. The lower roof really does help and tons of leaf litter. I have a gauge a little above the ground where the leaf pile is and it stay around 85-90%

Tortadise is really knowledgeable in Redfoots and enclosure design.. I will hope to have one in the future though.

Status
Not open for further replies.