Will fog humidifier be harmful for the tortoise?

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I use the humidifier like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKDGKFN/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20. It can make the humidity to be around 100% in the place I put the humidifier pipe and 70% for all the corners in the enclosure if I use closed chamber. I used them for about 1 year for my 15cm radiata and 20cm sulcata and don't see any problems for now. This year, I got some baby tortoises and am not sure if the fog will be harmful to them or not. I saw some post online said the humidifier fog is not good for tortoise lungs. I do clean the humidifier every time when I fill water into the tank.

I know this forum suggests to use some substrate like coconut fiber substrate like this amazon.com/gp/product/B00TNLIANQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to mix with water to provide humidity. But this will make the substrate muddy and tortoise smelly and dirty which I don't like.

Thanks for suggestions

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The humid/foggy air will not hurt a baby tortoise's lungs. But I find it completely unnecessary. I use Orchid bark that I keep moist as a substrate. It is not messy, does no mold or smell, and in a good closed chamber the humidity will stay as high as you want. Mine stays about 90%-95% throughout the entire enclosure, except directly under the basking light.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The humid/foggy air will not hurt a baby tortoise's lungs. But I find it completely unnecessary. I use Orchid bark that I keep moist as a substrate. It is not messy, does no mold or smell, and in a good closed chamber the humidity will stay as high as you want. Mine stays about 90%-95% throughout the entire enclosure, except directly under the basking light.

Trust in info that @Markw84 provides. ?

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
My humidity tends to stay at around 60-70, but I beginning to think it drops due to the size of the enclosure(6ft long and 1.5 ft high). I have two CHE on a thermostat and temp tends to stay at 85-88. I have a 3 month old leopard, would you recommend adding a reptifogger to help make up for the humidity?

nicoleann2214

NY
My humidity tends to stay at around 60-70, but I beginning to think it drops due to the size of the enclosure(6ft long and 1.5 ft high). I have two CHE on a thermostat and temp tends to stay at 85-88. I have a 3 month old leopard, would you recommend adding a reptifogger to help make up for the humidity?
Are you spraying or soaking the substrate? A closed chamber works best for humidity.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would recheck your enclosure to see where the heat and humidity is escaping. Otherwise you are fighting a loosing battle. Most of my enclosures are 8 ft x 3 ft and 2-1/2 ft high. They stay over 90% and I never add additional water to the substrate but keep a water dish and lots of live plants in the enclosure. I feel that is by far the best solution and best for the tortoise. Tortoises always will naturally select hides under plants and thick cover. When that is not there, I believe they are often under constant low grade stress.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I would recheck your enclosure to see where the heat and humidity is escaping. Otherwise you are fighting a loosing battle. Most of my enclosures are 8 ft x 3 ft and 2-1/2 ft high. They stay over 90% and I never add additional water to the substrate but keep a water dish and lots of live plants in the enclosure. I feel that is by far the best solution and best for the tortoise. Tortoises always will naturally select hides under plants and thick cover. When that is not there, I believe they are often under constant low grade stress.
Definitely have to cover up some holes, didn’t think it mattered.