My sister bought a Sulcata...

Ramus

5 Year Member
My little sister and mom bought a Sulcata tortoise behind my back with the money she had been saving. She is 14 and some what knows how to takecare of torts. I just want to get acquainted with Sulcatas because if she fails to take care of it the duty will probably have to fall to me.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
It sounds like you didn't want her to get a Sulcata? That's very responsible of you to try and learn more! There are so many resources on here on TFO to help with raising Sulcatas!

Jay Rennemeyer

The Short List:
1 - They get big! 100-200 lbs!
2 - They need a lot of space.
3 - They require high humidity - 80% to 100%.
4 - They require temperatures between 75 and 90 degrees.
5 - All veggies; no meat.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
The Short List:
1 - They get big! 100-200 lbs!
2 - They need a lot of space.
3 - They require high humidity - 80% to 100%.
4 - They require temperatures between 75 and 90 degrees.
5 - All veggies; no meat.

Are you sure that they need 80-100% humidity? Tia humidity level you need for rain forest species like K. Erosa. The sulcatas live in dry Savannah's which haven't got this humidity level. You only need a higher level when they have 0-2 years.

Jay Rennemeyer

Are you sure that they need 80-100% humidity? Tia humidity level you need for rainforest species like K. Erosa. The sulcatas live in dry Savannah's which haven't got this humidity level. You only need a higher level when they have 0-2 years.

I used to think that too, until reading this forum a couple of weeks ago. I raised my sulcata 'dry' because that's what the experts said 14 years ago when I got her. By now she should weigh over 100 lbs, but she only weighs 20! I was told it was because of her lack of water and humidity. During hot months they burrow underground where the humidity is naturally higher. Any rain will flow down into the burrow and add to the humidity level. I have set up a water dish and am working to get the humidity level up as far as possible. Since she's outside in the summer, this may require misting sprinkler heads.

BTW: Don't raise them dry intentionally to keep them small; it will affect their long-term health. It will be interesting to see if Cecil starts growing now that she's getting the moisture that she needs.

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
High humidity as a hatchling ~ young adult, after which level can be reduced.
high humidity + high temp = smooth shell

Hatchling in the wild are underground for sometime where the humidity levels are high.

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
At the top of the Sulcatas thread there is a care sheet by TOM, please share this with your sister.
He has very smooth looking tortoises.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Correction to the diet, little to no veggies, lots of leaves and flowers of various plants, no meat.

Reactions: Evy

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i applaud you on thinking a head of time, reminds me of my niece any animal she gets always find it's way to me sooner or later at one time i had 3 ball python's two rabbits and some hermit crabs all came from her, i didn't mind the ball python's as i love snakes and have quite a few myself but i think the rabbit's lead to me getting bit a couple times by the snakes for smelling them on me.

Jay Rennemeyer

Correction to the diet, little to no veggies, lots of leaves and flowers of various plants, no meat.

True. I think of veggies as "all plant life" because I really dislike eating veggies. I'm a carnivore and fruitarian. :)

Jay Rennemeyer

Cecil is 14 -- I got her for Christmas in 1999. This is the most recent picture I have access to at the moment. I was trying to weigh her, and it turns out the easiest way was to high-center her on a can of corn. (McGyver!)

Attachments

• Cecil 2014-09-29.jpg
    Cecil 2014-09-29.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 47

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Few things to add to the list:
-Shelled construction equipment, the bulldozer/backhoes of the tortoise community
-The word "obstacle" is not in their vocabulary and are extremely good at going through things (remember, four legged construction equipment)
-Willingly contribute to one's landscaping, unfortunately, it is usually the destruction of said landscape. See previous two items :)

Ramus

5 Year Member
It's a hatchling and it's coming on Monday. I've already helped her setup a tank and I've already got her the correct kind of bulbs (mvb).

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
It's a hatchling and it's coming on Monday. I've already helped her setup a tank and I've already got her the correct kind of bulbs (mvb).
A hatchling being one month old or less? Keep in mind you will need very high humidity in your enclosure. At that age they almost still require an incubator. Very tight control over the climate.
I keep mine in a plastic box with coco coir and very damp substrate. And leave the lid on with heat lamps and under tank heater pads. Several thermometers and hydrometers for different areas. If it still has a yolk sac, keep it on paper towels only until that heals.
What does your set up look like now?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403227374.141298.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403227395.137938.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403227432.357469.jpg

And you'll need to soak it at least once everyday! They are fun and cute. But they do get big!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403227613.225002.jpg

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Cecil is 14 -- I got her for Christmas in 1999. This is the most recent picture I have access to at the moment. I was trying to weigh her, and it turns out the easiest way was to high-center her on a can of corn. (McGyver!)
Lol. It's ok. I like to hear about everyone's Sully's! Mine has to have two 5 gallon buckets on the scale. 120 lbs. ;)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403227948.034786.jpg

Ramus

5 Year Member
I probably shouldn't have used hatchling it's 3 inches at the moment.

Ramus

5 Year Member
Also I plan to house in one of those plastic tubs. Do I have to clean that tub out with anything before it's safe for the tort?

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Just wipe it down well and air it out. My pics didn't go through from what I can see. Lemme try again. Do you know how old he is?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403233834.558795.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403233850.291193.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403233872.724319.jpg