Ivan wants out of his enclosure BAD

boxraddict

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My russian tortoise when I brought him home, he I placed in a 40 breeder aquarium which was meant to be temporary, he didn't have a problem with it. It was 36x18.

Now I placed him iin 72x24 of wooden enclosure and he scratches, tries to claw, and climb his way out.

It is indoor, and driving me a little crazy. He never tried to get out of glass or wanted out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You moved him to a new place. He needs to check it out and see if he can escape. That's what they do. He probably did it before you just couldn't hear it as well. He should settle soon

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My russian tortoise when I brought him home, he I placed in a 40 breeder aquarium which was meant to be temporary, he didn't have a problem with it. It was 36x18.

Now I placed him iin 72x24 of wooden enclosure and he scratches, tries to claw, and climb his way out.

It is indoor, and driving me a little crazy. He never tried to get out of glass or wanted out.

How tall are the sides of the wood enclosure? Lower than 4he sides of the tank??

boxraddict

Florida
At times, Ivan is literally standing up on his hind legs trying to scratch the upper part of the enclosure. First time seen a tortoise standing straight up like a human.

The sides are 12" high, the tank sides were 16" high, so yes, lower.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
At times, Ivan is literally standing up on his hind legs trying to scratch the upper part of the enclosure. First time seen a tortoise standing straight up like a human.

The sides are 12" high, the tank sides were 16" high, so yes, lower.

Ahh..so fredom is closer in sight than before..perhaps you can put an inward cap around the top edges of enclosure to help smash those scratches of hope...

longmire19

Sherman has a 4'x5'x18" indoor enclosure and a 8'x14'x24" outdoor enclosure. He continually test the perimeters of both. Before we finished his outdoor enclosure we would walk him around our back yard which is about 2,500 sq/ft enclosed by a privacy fence. No matter what, he would make a B line strait across the yard until he hit the fence and then follow it. He is very focused and determined to walk in a strait line and will attempt to push through or climb over anything in his path.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
Rt does the same thing. His outdoor enclosure is 8'x8' with hills, hides, and plant cover. I also let him walk around the backyard with supervision. He goes straight for the hedges each time, always heading in the same direction. While in his enclosure he climbs up between the seam of the two boards and looks like he's reaching for the sky.