New tortoise owner- Strange spots and not eating

baka3rabbit

Hello! Recently I just bought a greek tortoise from pet smart (yes, I am aware this may have been a bad idea to buy it from a pet shop) and since I brought him back he's only defecated once. It's be about a week since we took him home. He hasn't eaten or drank water from what I've monitored. He mainly stays under his log shelter and barely comes out to look at his reflection in the glass and dig. We're about to cover the sides of the terrarium with a liner to prevent that. We've also taken him outside to roam, attempt to get him to graze and also get some natural UV light.

Currently his terrarium is a 36x18 40 gallon breeder tank. His bedding is fir bark and his food is the standard hay pellets and thinly sliced fresh spring lettuce. He has a UVB 30 in strip light and a heat lamp.

Also I noticed these unusual spots on his hind legs and I'm wondering if they're normal and I'm overreacting.
12207827_1044071515614697_465602533_n.jpg

I hope to get some responses soon! Regards,

Michelle

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Have you been soaking your tortoise at all? If not I would recommend it, as soaking keeps them hydrated and gets them to poop.

Not sure about those spots, they're pretty weird.

I'd vary his diet more and check out the section on greeks, there should be a good care sheet in there to tell you everything you need to know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm pretty sure we're looking at a picture of a Russian tortoise. The dark encircling the 'spurs' on the hind legs is just dirt.