Is this spring mix okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I got two bags of this mix, knowing there was some spinach and bok choy in it, but I bought some endive to try and cancel it out. Will this be okay? By the way I have never fed either if it helps.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376599543.371881.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376599585.728433.jpg

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Last edited by a moderator:

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I buy the 100% organic spring mix. I don't think it has the bok choy, but it does have spinach.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I get organic and pick out the spinach at the store. Most whole foods stores have it in bulk near the bagged stuff. At 43.99 a pound, I buy about $.50 worth and it feeds all my boxies and a snack for my Torts for about a week!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
So it's okay for her to have until it's gone? It won't harm her?

Sprinkles

5 Year Member
It will be just fine. My torts love it.

Leopards: Sprinkles and Sobe
Redfoot: Tory

erica anne

5 Year Member
Is spinach really bad? I buy organic spring mix and feed it a couple of Ted a week but I don't pick anything out.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
Spinach has about 0.03g of calcium per cup and 0.9g of protein. I think female tortoises seek out protein when they're trying to lay eggs (I forget where I read that, though. It was a desert tortoise article) for the young ones' yolk sacs, but otherwise a balance high calcium/low phosphorus diet is important. Excess protein can cause pyramiding.

....Please don't quote me on any of that my stats are probably wrong I'm no expert. I never give my little butts spinach.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
ellen said:
Spinach has about 0.03g of calcium per cup and 0.9g of protein. I think female tortoises seek out protein when they're trying to lay eggs (I forget where I read that, though. It was a desert tortoise article) for the young ones' yolk sacs, but otherwise a balance high calcium/low phosphorus diet is important. Excess protein can cause pyramiding.

....Please don't quote me on any of that my stats are probably wrong I'm no expert. I never give my little butts spinach.

I also read spinach is bad in excessive amounts. But it turns out, when served in moderation it's actually healthy. I didn't know that. And protein used to be what they thought caused pyramiding.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i remember reading somewhere on this forum that spinach was not good for sulcatas so i just pick it out, i've tried to find a mix w/o spinach but no luck :(

Status
Not open for further replies.